Is a skin only tummy tuck the right thing for me? I am 36 and had two pregnancies. (photo)

I went to see a team of doctors. The female doctor mentioned that my stomach muscles are pretty tight and I would not need a full tummy tuck, but her partner (male doctor) dismissed her idea by saying he still likes to go in and tighten them more. When I asked about the scaring he replied by saying that along with the horizontal scar I would have a vertical scar that would be needed to take out the existing belly button hole because there was not enough skin to pull all the way down to the bikini line.

Skin only TT

+2

HI Alb2000. You have a low riding belly button and therefore you are a good candidate for mini TT. Whenever I do a TT I always tighten the muscles because the patient will regret it later if not done. This is the right thing to do unless you cannot take the time off to recover and understand that you will not be as flat as you could be. You may or may not need a short vertical scar low on the abdomen. This is determined at surgery.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Is a skin only tummy tuck the right thing for me? I am 36 and had two pregnancies.

+1

The decision about whether to pursue a minitummy tuck or a full tummy tuck is very difficult to judge from these photos. An exam would be better.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tuck procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Is a TT thr ight procedure for me?

+1

After reviewing your photos it would seem that you are a candidate for a TT, although a final decision can only be made on examination. With your history of having had 2 pregnancies you would probably benefit from a repair of the abdominal muscles to maximize the result. I doubt that you would need a vertical scar( which is quite uncommon). I would suggest that consult with other Board Certified plastic surgeons. Good luck!

George Lefkovits, MD

Tummy Tuck Incisions

+1

Based on your pictures, it would be very unlikely that you would need a vertical incision. You have plenty of skin to reach down to the bikini line. Additionally, a skin only tummy tuck would be a mistake. You need to have your muscles tightened as well. Without the muscle tightening, you will still have a roundness to your abdomen will have not have a optimal outcome. It is shame when people try to cut corners or not do the full procedure. Just do the right thing and have the full procedure. It is worth it.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Tummy tuck variations: how to know what's best

+1

Online answers can only give general advice, but with that in mind here are a few things to consider: First, a muscle repair is not always necessary, and it adds significantly to the recovery process. I do it about 90% of the time. Second, it is important to understand that a mini tummy tuck has no effect on the upper abdomen; if you see some skin laxity there when you bend forward, you may be disappointed with a mini. So again, about 90% of my TT's are the full version. I would be surprised if you needed the vertical T but that is usually better than an inadequately tightened tummy.

Richard Baxter, MD

Full tummy tuck with horizontal scar is possible

+1

Thank you for your question and photograph. Congratulations on being in such excellent shape and yes a skin only tummy tuck should be possible.

I do not think you will need a vertical scar as a horizontal scars possible but because you do not have a lot of loose skin incision may be higher than your pubic area.

In my opinion you want to avoid a vertical scar if at all possible. If you do not have confidence in the advice you were givenconsult another plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, is experienced in tummy tuck surgery, and has an excellent reputation in your community.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Skin only tummy tuck

+1

looking at your photograph you will benefit by a mini tuck which can be done by a small transverse scar ,however you will need to be examined clinically to know if a liposuction will help and also assess the tone of your abdominal muscles

Thangavel Ayyappan, MD
India Plastic Surgeon