Skin Tightening For Age 27 Female?

Im 27 year old female and need to loose aproximately 50 pounds , im afraid of loose skin. I haven had any pregnancies , but i do have thin strech marks on my front belly etc . Is there any way i can prevent this during course of my weight loss ?

Weight Loss & Skin Tightening

+2

Although 50 pounds is a significant weight loss, one can never predict the amount of loose skin that you will develop. And unfortunately, there really is nothing that can be done to prevent this. My only suggestion is that you consult  a doctor and follow a well-balanced diet with exercise. Above all else, your health is paramount. Since you have youth on your side, hopefully  the skin laxity will be minimal. Good luck to you.

Skin tightening

+2

Hi hira.  Stretch marks are tears in the dermis (the deeper layer of your skin) which develop during periods of rapid skin stretching such as pregnancy, rapid weight gain or rapid muscle development.  They do not get worse from weight loss.  I suggest you lose your weight, and see if sagging skin does develop.  If it does, you should see a plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns, and options for correcting them.

Lewis Ladocsi, MD, FACS
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Skin Tightening For Age 27 Female?

+2

Despite the fact that there is nothing you can do to decrease the chance of skin laxity, I would encourage your weight loss plan. Some people lose massive amounts of weight and their skin recovers nicely, but others wind up with laxity and stretch marks. 

But whatever damage is done by the excess weight is already done, so go ahead with diet and exercise plans. Your improved contour and health will most certainly overwhelm the laxity issues, which, should they occur, can be dealt with. All the best. 

Avoiding loose skin?

+2

Hira, 

That is a good question, but unfortunately, there is not an easy answer for you. I commend you on your choice to lose weight!  But you do have a legitimate concern about your potential for stretch marks.

If you had said you did not have any current stretch marks, I would tell you that your skin has a good chance at not being loose after your weight loss.  However, since you do currently have stretch marks, you have lost some of your skins elasticity (ability to resume its prior place).  You do have increased risk of having loose skin. It is not clear how much.  At 27 years old, hopefully you have retained much of this. 

Unfortunately, there are no know preventions that truly work to prevent stretch marks, and there is nothing you can do that will dramatically increase your skins elasticity. 

I would recommend pursuing your weight loss.  At 27 years old, you still do have a reasonable chance of having you skin tighten on its own. 

Gordon Lewis, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

There is no effective way to tighten skin.

+1

With a 50 pound weight loss unless you're quite lucky there will be some redundant skin. Don't waste your money on skin tightening tricks as they don't work.