Skin Tightening After Weight-loss in a 25 Year Old Woman? (photo)

I recently lost 53 pounds and have some loose skin in my abdomen area. It's not significant but certainly noticeable. I drink lots of water, eat tons of fruits and vegetables and have tried working out the problem area. However, none of that seems to work. I know I am not a candidate for a tummy tuck but would I be a candidate for a non-invasive procedure? Do those even work? Please note that I am a smoker, unfortunately.

Smoking and Tummy Tuck

+1

Smoking in a light smoker should be discontinued for 1 week prior to surgery.  Smoking in a heavier smoker should be discontinued for 1 month prior to surgery.  A tummy tuck will improve your abdomen.

Skin Tightening After Weight-loss

+1

Congratulations on the weight loss. I am not sure why you say you are not a candidate for a TT, unless it is because of smoking. If improving your appearance is important, you may find that you can stop at least briefly. 

The photo doesn't show much, but does show that there is significant excess skin, and suggests that anatomically you are a good candidate for a TT. Best recommendation: consult with a plastic surgeon. 

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Thank you for your question, best wishes.

Skin tightening?

+1

Hi. Thanks for your question. The photo shows loose skin and this will not respond to additional exercise. This is best treated with a tummy tuck in most patients. Congratulations on your weight loss and best wishes! Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Skin Tightening Procedure

+1

After an in-person consultation, you may find that you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck procedure to address your loose skin.  Losing a significant amount of weight like you did is an excellent accomplishment and a tummy tuck might be your best bet to flatten the abdomen.  Most surgeons require that you quit smoking at least temporarily before surgery due to the added risk of complications.  Discuss this with your doctor.

Norman M. Rowe, MD

Extra skin after weight loss.

+1

You should be proud of your accomplishment and changing your life. Your photo is limited to the side only and difficult to give you an accurate opinion. That being said, it does appear that a tummy tuck would tighten this nicely. The smoking is a challenge for wound healing and would need to be discussed thoroughly with your surgeon.

Some of the noninvasive modalities can tighten the skin and remove a small amount of fat, but it is usually limited. You appear to have a little too much redundant skin for these procedures.

Good luck. 

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Muffin top after weight loss

+1

Congratulations on the weight loss by the way! It is a common myth that exercising a muscle or a group of muscles will cause fat to be absorbed in the tissues directly overlying them. Not so. While exercising is always beneficial, any fat absorption will be distributed over the entire body as a whole and NOT specifically over the exercising muscle(s). Another myth is that by exercising certain muscles the overlying skin will be tightened. Sorry, again. Skin does indeed have some elasticity and can retract to some extent with generalized weight loss, however, if you have reached your ideal weight and the skin still lies in folds you are looking at a surgical procedure to correct it - tummy tuck, lower body lift or whatever. 'Non-invasive' methods, while appealing, are pure quackery in this situation.

J. Brian Boyd, MD

Loose Skin on Abdomen after Weight Loss?

+1

Congratulations on your significant weight loss. Most patients who have lost 53 pounds and have concerns about “loose skin” on the abdominal wall, are good candidates for tummy tuck surgery. Of course, precise advice would necessitate a full history, direct examination, and a full communication of your goals.  Be careful about “noninvasive” procedures;  these  generally do not effectively treat loose skin.  You do not want to end up wasting your time/resources.