How Soon Does Start Skin Thinning After Silicone Implant for Rhinoplasty?

I had rhinoplasty 4 months ago. I know the rivision can not be done for 8 months or longer from the original surgery. However as the swell start to go away, the silicon implant that doctor used for the bridge became visible after 2 months from the surgery. My skin appeared to be getting thinner. You can see the shape and edge of the implant clearly and my nose becomes transparent with any light on my nose. Also I ended up with saddle nose. Is it OK to wait for several more month?

Silicone Implant after Rhinoplasty

+5

Hi,

You can actually remove the implant now. There is no reason to leave an over sized implant in your nose. It can continue to thin the skin and even extrude through the nose. You should replace it with a custom carved implant to fit your nose. My website below is descriptive on the placement of custom carved silicone implants.

Dr.S.

Silicone nasal implants

+4

If you are having problem with your implant, you can have it removed anytime. If it is threatening to extrude go see a plastic surgeon ASAP.

Thinning Skin over Silicone Nasal Implant

+4

There are several reasons that almost no one uses Silicone implants in the nose. You demonstrate one, and if you wait, you may demonstrate another, mainly extrusion of the implant. Waiting a year after Rhinoplasty before revision is arbitrary to allow most of the swelling to resolve. This allows better prediction of what the nose will look like after the revision. However, whenever there is a definite problem, such as yours, the time to revise is as soon as the problem is recognized. See a surgeon with significant experience in revision rhinoplasty, and do so soon.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

+4

No! Who placed this in MIAMI? I know of no boarded surgeons here who use silicone implants to the nose. I feel you need correction before the skin opens. Please seek care. From MIAMI Dr. darryl j. Blinski

When to remove silicone implant in nose.

+4

Yes we normally wait 6-12 months, but if your skin is thinning, I would do the revision now before the implant causes a problem or loss of the overlying skin.

Skin will thin over silicone nasal implants

+4

The skin will stretch and thin over a silicone implant placed in the bridge of the nose almost from the first week if the skin is under tension. The implant will become even more visible as the swelling in the skin resolves over the first six months or so. Exposure of a large implant is usually seen near the tip, or inside the nose heralded by redness and infection. In the photo your sent, the bridge of your nose is very high and the implant is translucent. Just doesn't look right. I would have the implant removed and repair the bridge with an appropriate cartilage graft. Another opinion might be helpful.

peterejohnsonmd

Silicone Implants and Thin Skin

+4

Unfortunately, the implant will become more visible as the swelling goes down over the next 8 months.  In some cases it is appropriate to perform a revision before the 12 month point.  I would remove the silicone implant and replace it with a diced  cartilage graft and lower your radix. 

Daniel Reichner, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Removal of Nasal Silicone Implant

+2

I recmmend that you see your surgeon in the near future. There is a risk that the implant will extrude as the nasal skin continues to thin because of pressure from the silicone. Removal may be necessary at this time.