If the skin on my nose has thinned, or atrophied, can anything be done to repair it?

Thin nasal skin can be fixed

+2

Thin nasal skin can be fixed - in theory.  This begs the question, why do you want it fixed?  Without photos or any other direction its tough for me to address this questions.

Rhinoplasty in patients with thin skin is trickier because the thin skin doesn't mask any imperfections.  Thus, one has to be meticulous in their technique and ensure things are smooth when the rhinoplasty is finished.  In spite of a surgeon's best efforts, minor contour irregularities can become visible years after rhinoplasty in thin-skinned patients.

To correct this, many surgeons use Temporalis Fascia (the lining of the temporalis muscle - located on the side of your head - clench your teeth and you'll feel it) placed over top of the cartilage and beneath your skin to provide a buffer and prevent these future contour irregularities.  Some have also had success with Alloderm(R) implants used in the exact same way, while others feel Alloderm(R) eventually atrophies away and does not help.

Other non-invasive method of hiding contour irregularities involves the use of fillers such as Juvederm or Restylane injected in the region of the contour irregularities.  This is a simple, non-permanent (lasts 3 - 6 months) method of fixing this problem without having to undergo surgery.

Bottom line: thin skin can be modified during rhinoplasty and this can also be done years after the original rhinoplasty with a revision procedure.  I would encourage you to meet with your previous surgeon, or schedule an appointment with a Facial Plastic Surgeon to discuss your concerns and find a comfortable solution.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.