How Much Skin Can Be Removed with a TT and How Long of a Scar Would That Leave? (photo)

32 yrs old, 140lbs. 1 pregnancy. My stomach was completely stretched. The areas with stretch marks have fat deposits that are really hard to get rid of. I don't want to loose my curves in order to see the flanks and abdomen go down. I want lipo pf the flank +ab area and muscle repair with my TT. I want the incision to be low and a lot of my stretch marks to be cut off. what length and positioning of scar would be recommended? What portion of the stretch marks would be left?

Tummy Tuck? Incision Length?

+2

Dear Changes,  From your photos, a full tummy tuck would give you the best opportunity to achieve the result you desire.  A full tummy tuck with liposuction will obtain a flat tummy and also the hourglass shape most women are trying to regain after childbearing. The incision will be placed low on  the abdomen and should be covered by most swimwear and most undergarments. The incision will fade over time though it will never completely disappear.  Bottom line; the most common line heard from patients after a tummy tuck is, "Why did I wait so long?"

While not all of your stretch marks will be removed, the majority will and the rest will be under more tension and therefore look smoother and flatter.

Ignore doctors with false credentials...look for a board certified plastic surgeon to learn the best options for you.  Best of luck and I hope this helped. 

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Should I have a tummy tuck?

+2

From your pictures it is evident that you have excess skin, stretch marks, and looseness of the lower abdominal muscles. These are all indications for a tummy tuck or abdominoplasty. While you may get away with a mini tummy tuck, you will always have a better result with a full tummy tuck. You can expect the skin from you belly button to the pubis to be removed along with the stretch marks in that area.

Frank Agullo, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck vs. liposuction

+2

An abdominoplasty with liposuction would remove the skin in a crescent shape from just above the umbilicus to the pubic hairline.  Most of your striae would be gone except the ones extending above this crescentic shape.  The benefits are that the muscle plication would flatten your tummy.  Combined with liposuction you can obtain a very nice contour.  Drawbacks include a transverse scar, which should remain inside your bikini line. 

John Michael Thomassen, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

How to Determine How Much Skin Can be Removed and Length of Scar?- Ask Dr Ellen

+2

Hello Changes,

Wow, that's a tall order!

Here are some factors to consider:

1.  Are you even a candidate for a full Tummy Tuck? A full TT removes at least all of the skin from the belly button to the pubic area.  So there has to be enough skin in the midrif area to cover that distance.  Your photograph alone can not determine that answer.   A physical exam is required.  A more limited TT could be a consideration.

2.  The length of the incision is a factor related to the amount of skin laxity.  In your case it appears that the incision (for some type of TT) would, at the worst, be no longer than hip to hip and likely shorter.

3.  As far as liposuction of your abdomen is concerned, I'm not sure that you would need it.  Even with a modified TT, a good portion of that small amount of abdominal fat would be removed. 

4. Liposuction of the hips will make your waist look smaller and your buttocks look more shapely

5.  A rectus plication can be done with either a full or modified TT.

6.  Not all of the stretch marks will be removed.

7. The scar/incision can be set as low at your want it but it usually is around the edge of the pubic hair line.  In your case, the lower it is, the less tissue will be removed.

PS.  Be sure you are not planning to have more kids

Thanks for asking ~  Dr Ellen

Ellen A. Mahony, MD
Westport Plastic Surgeon

All about a tummy tuck

+1

From your photos, it appears as though you can get a beautiful result from a standard tummy tuck.  I keep my tummy tuck scars nice and low in the bikini line and we go over great scar therapy to help make a very inconspicuous scar.  I also perform liposuction at the same time to help accentuate the hips.  The muscles are tightened to help make the abdomen as flat as possible.  Good luck!  Dr. Schreiber, Baltimore plastic surgeon

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

How Much Skin Can Be Removed with a TT and How Long of a Scar Would That Leave?

+1

A short scar tummy tuck with liposuction of the flanks will produce the best result in your case and help meet your demands.    Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and liposuction procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA