Skin removal with implant extrusion/double bubble & replacement with smaller implants. Is the common?

I just had implant revision done Thursday. I had 1 implant that was bottomed out & beginning to extrude. My surgeon couldn't save the damaged skin so removed about an inch thick half moon of skin under my breast. also replaced my old 470cc implants with 400cc. So far the pain hasn't been too bad but I'm still fully bandaged til I see my doc Monday. I'm happy as of right now but just curious as I've never seen a procedure like this done before. Any of you surgeons perform something like this?

Implant Extrusion with Skin Removal

+1
Although the surgery itself is not too common, the way the surgeon repaired the area of extrusion is common.  Often when an implant extrudes the skin around that area is damaged and too thin to heal properly.  Removing the damaged area back to the more healthy, viable skin and tissue will decrease the risk of a second extrusion, tissue necrosis and infections.  Now, with your past history, the most important thing you can do is to follow your surgeon's postoperative instructions and go to every follow up appointment.  If you have any questions or concerns, be sure to contact the office and not wait.  It's far easier for your surgeon to answer questions than to repair something that should not have waited.  

Palm Springs Plastic Surgeon

Skin removal after implant extrusion sometimes a good idea

+1
While uncommon, the procedure you describe can be very useful. It may also help to add coverage with an internal bra material such as Strattice or Alloderm.

Richard Baxter, MD

+1
Based on your description of your preoperative situation, it appears that your plastic surgeon has done the appropriate operation for you. It is not a commonly performed operation, but one that I have done several times.
Best wishes; hopefully, you will be pleased with the outcome of the procedure performed.