Skin Rejuvenation Treatment That Allows for Sun Exposure?

I live in Brazil and I'm constantly surfing or on the beach. I'm 48 yrs old and have good skin for someone my age but it's beginning to look "lifeless".

I would like a treatment that stimulates collagen but allows me to get sun, so Fraxel Laser and Retin A, etc is out. What do you recommend?

Skin rejuvenation and sun exposure

+1

You should use an anti-oxidant serum such as vitamin C every morning, then SPF 50+ and reapply every 2 hours if you are in the sun.  You could use tretinoin cream at night, alternating with an AHA.  If you can stay out of the sun for a week, microdermabrasion can help stimulate collagen.  You already know that there are several more aggressive treatments you cannot have, such as laser or IPL, if you are continually in the sun.  If you find that you have some off time from the sun, you might consider one of the laser treatments.  You may continue to get more sun, but at least you can help reverse the damage occasionally.  You should be examined by a dermatologist at least every 6 months to detect any skin cancers.

Toronto Dermatologist

Skin rejuvenation requires strict daily sun protection

+1

Unfortunately, your current and future investment in skin rejuvenation may not be worthwhile and not last as long if you choose not to adhere to daily sun protection. Ultraviolet light exposure from the sun will take away collagen leading to more wrinkles, create more 'sun spots' blemishes and leathery skin texture. Even Botox or Dysport and fillers such as Restylane, Juvederm, Radiesse and Sculptra will work better and last longer if you can minimize excess sun exposure. Topical Retin-A application at night is not an issue as long as you wear sunscreen in the morning.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Skin Rejuvenation that allows sun exposure

+1

Hi Amber,

Although there are many potential treatments that will help with "lifeless" looking skin, there are none that "allow" you to get more sun exposure without creating damage of any kind.

You can easily get a Fraxel treatment and then spend 1-2 weeks out of the sun in recovery. The same goes for other forms of laser resurfacing, although the time out of the sun varies between a few days and a few weeks depending on whether you choose CO2 laser resurfacing, fractional, Erbium or some other "no downtime" lasers. Generally speaking, the best results are had with procedures that have the most downtime.

So, if you can handle taking a week or two off from the beach, you have lots of great options. If not, then you just might have to stick with the sunscreen until the laser resurfacing procedures are a higher priority. Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Skin rejuvenation treatment that allows for sun exposure?

+1

There is no treatment that protects you from the negative effects of the sun. Photorejuventation can help you skin look better - non-surgical and it does hep with many of the "signs" of aging. Then my best tip for you is to apply a sun block every toher hour while your having fun in the sun. Enjoy

Michael Kulick, MD