Skin Peel on Legs for Bumps, Uneven Skin Tone (African American)

I have dark skin and have issues with uneven skin tone and a small section of hair bumps around my inner thigh, by my knee. I am wonderwing if a skin peel would help(and hopefully get rid of) this condition. I am also wondering how much time it takes to heal. And if so I would need a recommendation for a dermatologist that is accustomed to working on African American skin in the Ny, NY area. Thank you for your time

Skin peels for uneven skin tone on African American skin

+1

Thank you for your questions.  Firstly, a board-certified dermatologist would need to examine you to determine what the correct diagnosis is before a chemical peel, or any other treatment, could be recommended.  It is unclear as to whether you truly have hair bumps, keratosis pilaris, folliculitis or some other condition. 

Skin Peels

+1

I agree that you should see someone who specializes in treating the skin and also who has experience in treating darker pigmented skin.  Without seeing pictures or seeing you in person, it is impossible to give you specific advice or to know if a skin peel is actually what you need.  If you have bumps, then you may have an underlying irritation or other skin condition that may respond better to different treatment.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Bump may be related to in grown hairs.

+1

Dear NoWi

Chemical peels are extraordinarily dangerous on skin off the face where there are far fewer stem cells.  I would recommend seeing a dermatologist who performs laser hair reduction.  It may be that laser hair reduction treatments in this area will reduce the likelihood of having ingrown hairs that then stimulate hyperpigmentation.  Many of these laser hair reduction systems are specifically marketed to be safe for African American skin types.  As a result I think you will find that any board certified dermatologist who offers these services will be able to address your concerns.