Skin Loosening of Neck 3 Years After Face and Neck Lift. Dermatologist Feels It Is Due to Thin Skin?

I had my face and neck done a few years ago and though I look much better my neck is starting to sag. PS is willing to do a neck tuck at no charge. I am fearful this will happen again andi also have continual tight numbing feeling from ear to ear?

Neck Loosening after Face and Neck Lift

+1

Some neck skin loosening after 3 years would be relatively common.  Everyone will have some recurrence within a few years.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Neck Sagging After Facelift

+1

– It is not entirely uncommon to have some neck laxity especially in patients who have sun damaged skin, history of weight loss, or in a male patient. Non-invasive therapy such as Ulthera may help tighten this skin in some patients if it is minimal. Sometimes in a small percentage of patients, I will revise their neck only after a year if needed. I would revisit your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and have them evaluate you to see if this can be surgically or non-surgically corrected.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Relay Your Concerns So As To Have a Better Idea Of What To Expect.

+1

Pictures would be helpful to get a better idea of your concerns. There are many different factors that can affect the longevity of a Facelift/necklift such as technique, age, lifestyle, weight changes, etc.

I agree with what other physicians have said that it is admirable that your physician has offered to perform the procedure free of charge. But please do relay your concerns so that you have an idea of what to expect if you do proceed with a revision.

Best, Dr. H

Carlo Honrado, MD

Aging Occurs After Facelift

+1

Without photos it is hard to comment. General statements that can be made is that everyone continues to age at different rates following a facelift. The fact that your plastic surgeon is willing to redo your neck at no charge is an unusual gesture of good will.

FYI: Thick skin tends to have more elasticity than thin skin and tends to age less fast unless there is also acne scarring.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Relaxation of neck skin

+1

A common question that I am asked regarding a facelift is "how long will it last?"  The answer is that you will always look better than you would if you had not had a facelift, but the march of time continues.  

It is not uncommon to have some relaxation of the skin after 3 years.  How much relaxation depends on a lot of factors:

• smoking
  • genetics
  • sun exposure
  • diabetes

Doing your best to control the factors that are within your ability to do so will prolong your result.

Andrew Winkler, MD
Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recurrent neck laxity three years post facelift.

+1

The longevity of a face lift/neck lift is individual.  In general the results last longer than three years.  However, this may be the result of the technique used, the quality of your skin/tissues, smoking history, genetics, weight fluctuations, etc.  The offer to do a revision at no charge is admirable and should be seriously considered.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Longevity of Facelift and Necklift may vary

+1

Unfortunately factors like thin skin and fluctuation of weight do affect the longevity of the result of face and necklifts. Some patients maintain the improvement much longer than others, even if the same technique has been used for the surgical procedures.

Lifestyle and genetics play a major role.

I think that the offer of your surgeon to "refresh" your neck again free of charge  it is very professional and kind.

All the best.

Andrea Marando

Andrea Marando, MD
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Second facelift after three years

+1
Facelift will rejuventation and level the aging curve, however the skin will follow its own pattern of aging influenced by heredity, environment, and stresses such as improper diet and exercise. As we don't know much about you, it is possible that you are ready for a retuck after three years.

Neck laxity after face/neck lift

+1
You haven't mentioned your age and crepey, thin skin is more likely to have a shorter lasting result. Age can be a factor as can weight gain and loss postoperatively. If your plastic surgeon is willing to offer a revision at no charge, I think that you are fortunate and this is something you certainly can consider.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Re-do Facelift

+1

In most cases, re-do Facelift are the result of weight loss.  Consult with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgery (ASPS) regarding your concerns.  Every patient is unique, and with different needs.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD