Skin is Still Loose and Stomach Protrudes 2 Months Post Tummy Tuck: Is This Normal?

I had my surgery May 2 and the more the swelling goes down the more loose skin that appears. I would just like to know if this is normal or if I am expecting too much from my surgery? I expected better results and was not informed that I would not have good results. If a revision is indeeded needed would I be expected to pay for the entire procedure again? Thank you for your time and replies.

Possible revision necessary

+1
It looks like not enough skin was removed during your surgery, even if it's still a little too early to judge your results because of residual swelling. (Or if you lost a lot of weight after your surgery, this could have also caused this). I suggest you see your surgeon to talk about your expectations.

Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Loose skin after tummy tuck

+1
It is unfortunate that your results are not what you expected. It is still too early to determine the true results of your surgery, however based on your photos alone you will probably benefit from revision surgery to remove the excess skin. You may have to wait a minimum of six months before your next surgery, depending on your recovery rate. I recommend you talk to your surgeon and express your dissatisfaction. They may offer you a solution that you can both agree upon. Best of luck. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Tummy tuck results

+1

Unfortunately, it is hard to say definitively (based on the pictures provided)  whether you have an expected result after abdominoplasty. However, based on the amount of skin you are pinching in the postop picture along with your obvious dissatisfaction it is probable that revisionary surgery will be beneficial.

Follow-up with your surgeon expressing your questions and concerns. Costs of the revisionary surgery do depend on the specific office's  policy. 

Tummy tuck concerns postop

+1

Whether it's normal or not requires a bit of explanation.  Looking at your preop picture, you have quite a lot of loose skin.  You don't mention if you had a large weight loss or if it was all from pregnancies, and the information is important. 

Skin is elastic.  As we age it loses elasticity, so there is a difference between the amount of skin and how much the skin you still have stretches or hangs.  If you look at your postop, you can see that all the skin that was below your belly button was removed at the surgery, and it has been neatly done.  This is normal and proper for a tummy tuck.  The skin that was above the belly button has been moved down to your pubic line, and a new hole created for your belly button.  So the surgery has done what it was planned to do.

The problem is, I agree you have skin which looks loose below the belly button.  But, see how good the skin looks above the belly button. Most of the tummy tuck is very good.  The skin below has just relaxed, and has poor elasticity.  It also is important you're just 2 months after surgery, so there will still be swelling present.

My advice is:  don't be disappointed because it has all gone well.  It will not need to be redone.  There is still swelling.  You need to wait for 6 months from the surgery, then talk with your surgeon.  If the swelling has gone and it looks good, you're done. 

If the skin just above the pubic hairline still looks loose then ideally a revisional procedure simply involving removal of a skin strip only can be done and that will end up in a terrific result.  That would be simple and even an office procedure under local anaesthesia.  The point is that the only part of the tummy tuck which looks imperfect is the bit just above the scar, is because the skin has not much elasticity, and can be simply dealt with with not much recovery time and probably little expense if any.

Good luck.

Howard Webster, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Loose skin after abdominoplasty

+1

It is possible that some loose abdominal skin remains after a tummy tuck procedure, and the amount of skin that may be resected without increasing the risk of complications depends on a number of factors that your plastic surgeon must consider. If you are not happy with the result of your tummy tuck you should discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Concerns about laxity of the abdomen following a tummy tuck

+1

Your pre-operative photo reveals a considerable excess of skin which is markedly improved following surgery. It does appear that there is some laxity still present but without an examination or knowing your history, it would be pure conjecture to comment on this.

You should discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon who could then share his/her point of view. If you still have questions or concerns, a second opinion could be obtained. (From the photo it does appear that your improvement is quite substantial.)

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Please send picture of your after results while standing without pulling

+1

You had large amount of excess skin before surgery and your after picture is not clear. Looks like you have a good result by the limited views. Please send more pictures.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Loose skin

+1

Although it is always difficult to diagnose long distance, it does appear as if in your post-surgical pictures you have significant residual skin laxity.  This may be because of weight loss since surgery, abnormal swelling after surgery, or insufficient skin removal during surgery.

Whether or not you need to pay for your procedure will depend on the agreement you made/signed with your plastic surgeon.  Some will do touch ups at no cost, while others specify that any additional work would require additional fees.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD