Skin Health Around Eyes Destroyed After Lower Bleph?

I had a lower trans.bleph almost 10 months ago. I am astounded at the apparent destruction of both my lower and upper eyelid appearance. I've always had circles under my eyes and some darkness on the upper lid. But now the skin looks so unhealthy, as if the fat removed took with it healthy blood supply that was nourishing the skin before. Is this possible? Before, my eyelids were moist, pinkish and healthy looking with bags Now, they look dry, brown, wrinkled, sunkin in and just plain unhealthy.

update:
I apologize but I should make a correction to my first question here. I had a SUBcutaneous bleph, not a transcutaneous. I don't know why my ocular PS chose this method but I feel this may have caused some of the problems I mentioned in my question.

Lower bleph procedure

+1

Hi!

There is definitely a possibility that too much fat was removed or
that this is a result of repositioning. Laser resurfacing, injections,
or fillers could help make your eyes look younger and healthier. I
would recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Good luck!

Dr. Sam Speron

Excising fat from the eyelids...

+1

Excising fat from the eyelids, upper or lower, can lead to a hollowing of the eye socket. In addition, the overlying skin can sag over a deflated eyelid. This seems to be what you are describing.

Its possible that laser resurfacing in combination with either fillers or fat grafting may address you issues. Obviously, if we see your photos, we may be able to give more specific recommendations.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Skin Health and Color After Eyelid Surgery

+1

It is possible that too much fat was removed. For the dark circles beneath your eyes, Laser skin resurfacing by a qualified professional may be a solution. The Micro Fractional CO2 Laser treatment shows dramatic improvement in skin texture and color and leaves it smooth, firm and even-toned. Also, at my practice in New York, after a proper consultation, to determine if I might offer PRP or platelet rich plasma injections combined with a hyaluronic acid filler to help fill out the hollowing beneath eyes and restore color to the skin. In my years of experience skin mainentance is important following surgery, so I formulated a medical grade line of skin care products in which we carry Eye Rescue (by Prasad Medical Skincare) to reduce dark circles and has vitamins to help nourish the delicate skin around the eye.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Orbital Fat Re-Positioning Maintains Lower Eyelid Contour

+1

I have taught and written about the transconjunctival approach to orbital fat re-positioning in the lower eyelid. The bulging lower eyelid fat is released and re-positioned to fill the hollow in the cheek, below the bulge. The blood supply to the fat is preserved and the skin of the lower eyelid is supported, so the wrinkled, crepy look is minimized. Fraxel laser skin resurfacing may help to regenerate or smooth the skin's structure after your surgery.

Edward Szachowicz, MD, PhD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

I am so sorry to hear that you have these issues.

+1

Yes, unfortunately it is possible to have significant degradation of the tissue quality after eyelid surgery.  A number of factors can contribute to this.  It is the result of surgical trauma, inflammatory changes, and predisposition.  My best advise at this point is to minimize future eyelid surgery.   For example, laser resurfacing will not restore skin and muscle integrity after these surgeries.  Surgeons who tell you otherwise are kidding you and possibly themselves. Without a personal consultation it is impossible to provide more specific information.