Skin Flap Left Post Reduction? (photo)

I had a breast reduction surgery February 12th, 2013. I am now four weeks post op and am slightly concerned regarding a flap of skin at the end of the incision underneath my left breast. I know I have lots of healing left to do, just wanted reassurance that it will smooth out over time, hopefully?

Concerns about “Skin Flap” after Breast Reduction Surgery?

+1

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure.  Given that you are only one month out of the procedure,  you may very well find that the area of concern will “smoothen out” significantly over the course of the next several months.  Occasionally, if it remains bothersome, revisionary surgery ( relatively minor) may be helpful.

I would suggest that you continue to followup with your plastic surgeon who will be your best resource…

Otherwise, enjoy the results of the procedure performed.

Small dogears after breast reduction will require a minor revision.

+1

It's possible that the photograph demonstrates a small dog ear. Because of the swelling I'm not completely confident in that diagnosis. However if the prominences due to a small amount of excess skin it will persist after swelling subsides in surgical correction will be necessary.

Skin flap after breast reduction

+1

What you have is a small dog ear.  This is related to some excess skin.  The treatment for dog ears is excision.  It may get slightly smaller over time.  If it does not you would need to slightly extend the incision and excise it. 

Benjamin Chu, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Skin flap left post reduction

+1

Review of your photo demonstrates a normally healing incision with some redundancy at the end of the scar.  At this point, it may be swelling or actual redundant skin. Most of these resolve spontaneously, but in circumstances when they persist, a simple small revision under local easily corrects this situation.  Not to worry, just give it some time knowing that it is a simple fix if anything needs to be addressed

Ronald A. Lohner, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon