My Skin is Elevated in the Area Where a Drain Was Placed- Status Post Rectus Diastasis Repair. Will This Resolve?

I am 3 months post op for rectus diastasis repair. This was corrected to above belly button. (Also had csection scar revision, no lipo, no full tummy tuck). I had one of the drains in for 5 days at LUQ. The skin in this area has remained elevated, curvilinear, following course of drain. Dr says it's fibrosis and massaging area will help. I haven't noticed any change. This is unsightly to me. Will this resolve? Can this be focal fat? It's soft to touch. No fluid (US done). Please advise.

Recovery

+1

This will most likely improve with time.  At this point, there really is nothing you can do surgically so be patient and allow your body to heal.

Rectus Repair Fullness

+1

I would agree that being patient and giving this area some time will probably improve it as the the tissues mature.  If after another 3-4 months and the tissue has soften, then revision may be indicated

Richard Linderman, MD

Dimple post diastasis repar

+1

I would be patinet with heat and massage.Your doctor may want to inject a small amount of Kenalog into the area but it should not  be a problem.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Visible drain site fibrosis.

+1

It is possible to develop fibrosis or even a small hematoma adjacent to a drain, particularly if left in place for several weeks. These almost always resolve with time. Massage can hasten the process. It can take several months though for the site to flatten out. The waiting is difficult, but essential. Best of luck.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Skin elevation after tummy tuck

+1

You may have had a seroma in the area.  Have your surgeon evaluate for this.  Otherwise I would continue massage and pressure garments and wait at least 6-9 months before revision consideration.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Drain Fullness

+1

Usually these things resolve on there own. Massage can help or the garment , if high enough , can apply pressure and address this. Time is what you need and the hardest thing for most patients. Good Luck.

Paul Albear, MD

Drain site fibrosis

+1

I agree with what your doctor told you. This problem is caused by fibrosis ( scar tissue). Massaging this area will help but this will need to be a vigorous massage in order to stretch tissue. A steroid injection may also help but you must be careful that steroids. Give the scar time to heal and be aggressive with the massage.

Wendell Perry, MD

Elevated skin above drain

+1

If there is fibrosis where the drain was, then massage, ultrasound therapy and possibly kenalog injection may help reduce the elevation of the tissue.  Your surgeon can likely give you some good suggestions.  Also, time is a factor that many people do not give enough credit to.  You will be surprised how much changes during the first six months after surgery.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD