Skin Darkening After Laser Hair Removal on Dark African American Skin. Is It Permanent?

I just had my first laser hair removal treatment today, I am a dark skinned Aftican American and was told my setting was 6. When it first started, it was very painful at the level 23 and was dropped down to level 19. A few hours after treatment I notice very...very dark splotches on my skin in the shape of the laser...I look like a dalmation. It seems that every single spot that was touched by the laser has been darkened. Is this permanent? I don't want to even go outside. Is make-up okay to use

Laser Hair Removal for dark skin

+1

The long-pulsed Nd:YAG (1,064 nm) laser is considered safe and effective for the treatment of unwanted hair in dark-skinned persons. It is considered to be superior to other methods of hair removal. The Nd:YAG laser has been shown to yield a high rate of satisfaction in terms of hair reduction and should not cause permanent hyperpigmentation.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon