Will Skin Continue to Tighten 10 Weeks Post Op Face/necklift?

I am just under 10 weeks post necklift/ lower facelift with playtsma tightening. One year ago I had lipo under my chin and this left the playtsmal banding more pronounced. Since my last surgery 10 weeks ago, as the swelling goes down, the sagging gets worse.The playtsma banding, although much improved from before surgery, is still there. I am still swollen around the ears, cheeks and under the chin. I can feel tightness and pulling when I move my neck. The scaring is healing beautifully.

Face Lift, Mini Face Lift, The Palmer Celebrity Face Lift, Beverly Hills Face Lift

+2

Honestly, it might get tighter or it may not as more time goes by after your Face Lift.  Here are the determing factors:

1. The amount of skin undermining dicatates how much more tightening may occur...and this can vary dramatically during a Face Lift from surgeon to surgeon.
  2. The amount of SMAS muscle tightening and the method by which it was tightening....using a suture, folding it upon itslef or trimming a section and then re-suturing the SMAS back together are all done during Face Lift but the latter will provide IMHO, the most reliable tightening.
  3. Was fatty tissue removed with a micro-lipo technique during the Face Lift.  Liposuction will cause a temporary swelling but can contribute to tightening in the subsequent several months as this swelling subsides.

If you have concerns, at this point, it's best to discuss these with the plastic and cosmetic surgeon that did your Face Lift because he/she is the only one that knows what was done during that particular surgery.

Dont confuse swelling with skin tightening

+2

Skin will not generally tighten after a facelift. Swelling causes the face to become overly tight in the first couple of weeks. After the swelling decreases your Facelift will age like any part of your body. The key is to start out with a relatively tight lift and as gravity takes affect it will loosen. The caveat to that is if its to loose to begin with it will never tighten to the appropriate level. Hope this helps.

Ritu Chopra, MD

Will Skin Tighted 10 Weeks after Facelift

+2

As swelling resolves, skin tightness usually decrease. A facelift will remove excess skin and tighten the underlying muscles, but will not improve skin quality. Skin resurfacing with laser treatment or a chemical peel may be necessary. The normal neck 'pulling" you feel is secondary to work done on the platysma muscle - this will be temporary.

Skin tightening will continue for at least 6 months.

+2

Skin tightening will continue for at least 6 months. Be patient and it should continue to improve with time.

Tightness after Facelift

+2

Hi,

I don't think your face will tighten any more at this point. The swelling might continue to go down but your results are what you see now.  The tightness that you feel should improve over time unless the sutures where not placed right.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

+2

No, sorry.  As you can see, as the swelling goes down, you notice more looseness.  This will not improve over time. 

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Skin tightening after a facelift

+2

Your skin will be at its tightest immediately after the facelift is complete. This is due to the fact that the skin has been made tighter surgically and that there is swelling. 10 weeks after surgery the swelling is resolving and should be nearly completely resolved. The amount of swelling that persists at 10 weeks is not likely to make too much of an impact on your appearance, though it can. As a rule of thumb, I advise my patients to wait three months before viewing the results as "final". Even so, it can take one year to return to normal and feel like surgery was never done. However, it is very unlikely that the skin will tighten further at this point of your recovery. You should know that platysmal bands are rarely completely removed, and that there is usually some amount that remains (though this is usually a lot less than the pre-operative state). You can expect the skin to soften and look more natural in the coming weeks, but not to tighten further.

I hope this info helps!

Adam Rubinstein, MD

+1

Unlikely that the skin will continue to tighten although sometimes skin will re-drape more smoothly over time

Sam Naficy, MD

Skin Tightening Post Facelift

+1

In general, one can see the final results from a facelift in 6 weeks. After this time period, one sees improved face skin tone but not tightening. Therefore, one must adequately improve skin/face reshaping intra operatively to prevent early skin sagging or re-lapse. Also, one must leave an adequate layer of fat tissue in the face and neck so there will not be post-op skin adherence of the neck platysma to the skin which causes a neck deformity which is hard to correct.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Yes, skin tightening will continue for 6+ months

+1

Yes, skin tightening will continue for 6+ months so just try and be patient - and good luck with your results!

Babak Azizzadeh, MD