What Skin Care Products Are Safe During Pregnancy?

I have some concerns about skin care during pregnancy: WHY exactly are skin tightening procedures and/or dermal fillers NOT done to the face and neck during pregnancy? Even without numbing cream? If dermal fillers aren't good for the fetus how can they be good for my body?

What EFFECTIVE products can safely be used during pregnancy? I prefer products sold from Dermatologists.

I have really made outstanding progress on reversing some age related changes to my skin over the past few years and I would like to maintain the results during my second pregnancy.

Sunscreens and Anti-oxidants

+3

There are a number of skin care products which should be safe during pregnancies.

One of the cornerstones of anti-aging regimens, the Retinoids such as Retin A and Tazarac should be avoided.

Nevertheless, there are plenty of good skin care products that can be used during pregnancy. These would include many of the antioxidants. CoffeeBerry (Revaleskin) would be fine. This product has less caffeine in it than a cup of coffee and as long as you use it once a day (preferably their night cream) and do not smear it on your whole body you should be fine. I can see no problem with any of the lines containing pomegranate either. However, stay away from the antioxidant soy since this has estrogenic factors which could cause problems, perhaps to the fetus and more definitely to the skin (intensifying chloasma, the "mask of pregnancy".)

Alpha-hydroxy acids such as glycolic acid are acceptable but do not use Beta hydroxy acids such as salicylic acid. Glycoloic acid peels, performed in a dermatology office, would be fine. Similarly, I can foresee no problems with microdermabrasions, as long as antisepsis is practiced.

Sunscreens, of course, are important as an anti-aging weapon. However, I would stick to the so-called physical sunscreens based on zinc oxide or titanium dioxide.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Do not use cosmetic creams during pregnancy

+2

I typically recommended holding off on any cosmetic creams during pregnancy. If it is not absolutely necessary, then wait until after delivery and after breast feeding is complete. There are many reasons for this including safety but also that many skin issues that mayb be bothering you may resolve after pregnancy.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Use Nothing in Pregnancy

+2

The reasons for not doing the fillers and botox in pregnancy are;

1. Stress of pain related to injections is harmful to the fetus

2. The exact effect of fillers and botox on fetus is unknown. Some medications or products can be completely safe for the mother but harm the growing fetus. The example that comes to mind is Thalidomide.

In terms of skin care the biggest concern is Vit A based products as it is known to cause birth defects. Other products are relatively safe but the best thing is to use nothing more than a moisturizer like Aveeno Baby Products.

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon