Could this be skin cancer? Should it be removed? (Photo)

Pictured is a slightly raised mole on my neck. Much much smaller than a pencil eraser lightbrown in color. I believe it has been there for a couple years now. But, concerned about cancer. I also have been to the dermatologist recently as in two ish months ago or so. But, just concerned and making sure it doesn't need removed before my next check up in 4 months. Thank you.

Small mole on neck

+1
As with any skin lesion, appropriate followup and evaluation with a dermatologist is recommended.  If you have been evaluated and told the lesion appears benign you should trust your physician.  Recommended evaluation of the lesion at intervals suggested by your dermatologist is appropriate.  It the lesion continue to cause you anxiety, you can have it easily removed and have appropriate pathologic evaluation.  Good Luck

Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mole on neck causing concern about skin cancer

+1
Based on the picture you sent the mole looks benign so no need to worry. Having it checked by your dermatologist in 4 months will be nice for reassurance as well. Please use the ABCDE's as your guide for when to be concerned about moles: A for Asymmetry; B for irregular Borders; C for black or uneven Colors; D for Diameter greater than a pencil eraser; and E for a growth that is Evolving or changing. If you are still concerned, it is an extremely simple five minute procedure for a dermatologist to remove the mole using a "shave" biopsy technique which typically leaves a minimal scar. The mole can then be checked microscopically for reassurance.
You can follow the video link to learn more about identifying the changes in moles that are suspicious for skin cancer.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon