Should Skin Blister After Postdye Laser Treatment?

Laser Treatment and Blisters

+1

Thank you for your question. This is not typical and is going to raise the risk of skin discoloration.  You should notify the office and should be vigilant with your sunscreen.  Be certain to be under the supervision of a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon with expertise in laser surgery for the most effective and safe treatments. I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist

Pulsed dye V-beam laser for skin redness, rosacea, port wine stains, stretch marks & red scars can very rarely cause blistering

+1

Pulsed dye laser, whether 585nm. or 595nm. very rarely can induce blistering.  There may be multiple factors why this would occur including multiple pulses in one area, high fluence (energy) and immature surgical scars are more sensitive than mature scars. Gentle cleansing and application of an occlusive ointment may help minimize textural change. Depending on the natural color of the skin, there may be a chance of developing post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. If someone has developed a blister after V-beam laser they should contact their doctor to see what regimen of skin care would be appropriate for them.

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com/laser-skin-resurfacing/index.html

Blisters after PDL

+1

Blistering is one of the side effects that can occur after PDL treatment.  You want to get this looked at early on to avoid discoloration or possible scarring.  I would call the doctor who did the procedure and asked to be seen right away.    Meanwhile, I would keep the area moist with Vaseline. 

Cincinnati Dermatologic Surgeon

Normal reaction to Pulsed Dye laser treatment.

+1

Normal reaction to a pulsed dye laser treatment can include erythema (redness), soreness, and  edema (swelling).  A pulsed dye laser is typically used to treat scars or vascular birthmarks or tumors and helps to decrease the red discoloration of the skin.

Blistering to any laser treatment can be concerning for possible adverse side effects.  Even ablative treatments (resurfacing treatments) usually do not produce blisters. Blisters can be a sign of either a treatment that was very aggressive, or possibly an infection or an allergy to topical treatments.

Bottom line, you need to be seen by your physician to receive proper diagnosis and treatment to help prevent the situation from worsening.

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon