Skin and Eyebrow/Eyelash Disorders As a Result of Drastic Weight Loss?

I'm 38 and had lost 23 lbs. due to appetite loss. I was hospitalized, and my blood work came out fine. I have gained most of it back and am now eating healthy. However, the skin beneath my eyes has become extremely thin with drooping bags, and when I smile, I have fine lines all over my face. In addition, all of my eyebrows fell off, and the ones growing back are white and like peach fuzz (I do not have white hair), and my eyelashes turned blonde with white tips (I am a brunette). Pls advise

Hair loss after drastic weight loss

+2

A common cause of hair loss is called telogen effluvium.  This form of alopecia generally begins about 3 months after a major illness or other stress (e.g., surgery, rapid weight loss, nutritional deficiency, high fever, hemorrhage, etc.) or hormonal derangement (e.g., thryoid dysfunction); it has also been reported after the initiation of treatment with certain medicatons. If the cause of telogen effluvium is removed, hair loss lasts for up to 6 months after removal of the trigger.  In order for you to get a better idea of what is actually going on, you need to see a local hair transplant surgeon for an in-person consultation.  During your visit, you can learn about your medical and surgical options to combat the hair loss you are describing.  Best of luck to you.

Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon

Eyebrow and Eyelash Disorder from Weight Loss?

+1

Hair loss with major weight loss is not unusual.  I would wait a minimum of one year of the hair loss to see if it recovers.  It is possible to tranplant eyebrows but eyelashes are very difficult.  You may want to try a product such as Latisse for eyelash growth.