Too Much Skin After Umbilical Float. Please Help? (photo)

I had a full TT, muscle and hernia repair and umbilical float on 8/8/13.I am 8 wks post op. at first all was great but when the swelling started to go down I notice a lot of skin. It looks like I never had a TT. I spent 9,000 out of pocket for this and feel like I should look like a million bucks. I interviewed 4 surgeons and he was the only that suggested the float. Bc he was so renown I trusted him. What are my options on repair having done the float before?Thank u in advance for your opinions

Umbilical float

+1

So sorry about your result.  Looking at your pre operative appearance, I can see how floating umbilicus might come to mind, i.e. you didn't have a tremendous amount of excess skin above your umbilicus. However, umbilical floats leave little room for improvement in skin tightening above the umbilicus without drastically relocating its position, one reason why I'm not a fan. I think the same can be said by most surgeons that do a lot of tummy tucks.

Heal, express your concern, and encourage him to revise if he is a 'renowned' surgeon. Otherwise, go visit a few others.  One note of importance: your umbilicus will be at greater risk for circulatory issues after an incision is made around it, and there might be partial or complete loss of skin of the umbilicus. It is not the 'worse thing' to happen, but something to be prepared for, as it will require longer healing if that occurs.

Options for too much skin following tummy tuck.

+1

Thanks so much for your question.  I have to agree with one of the other responders that I'm not entirely certain of the procedure that was performed.  The Umbilical Float isn't something that is done with a full tummy tuck.  Either way I would say that you are very early in your recovery process.  You need to give things more time.  You also owe it to both yourself and your surgeon to have an honest discussion with them and voice your concerns.  There are some non-operative skin tightening procedures that you may be a candidate for at this point but you should discuss that with your surgeon.  Hope this helps.  Good luck.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Full tummy tuck vs. mini with umbilical float

+1

A point of clarification, an umbilical float is done with a mini-abdominoplasty, so there is minimal change in the skin of the upper abdomen. A full tummy tuck is a different operation so there is no full tummy tuck with an umbi float. Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon, there may be options such as tightening the mini or a reverse tummy tuck for the upper abdomen.

Richard Baxter, MD

Umbilical float abdominoplasty is a lousy operation.

+1

An umbilicus is a depressed scar. Creating an attractive umbilicus is part of the abdominoplasty is quite easy. The amount of skin allow by the floating technique is restricted. You will need a formal abdominoplasty to give you the best result.