I'd Like To Go From A to C. Which Size is Suitable for Me?

I'm 31 years old , 5'3 feet , 104 Ibs , 32 A cup bra .....i want to be 32 C cup and want to use silicone gel implant and to look natural in the same time....I want to know what are the options left for me as regards the implant's size, profile and shape and the options for the type of surgery itself...

Implant Selection Process

+1

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Breast implants

+1

The size, profile, and shape of implant should be discussed at your consultation with your plastic surgeon.    Your anatomy and your goals help determine the final implant.   Make sure you have good communication with your plastic surgeon. 

David Bray, Jr, MD

Choosing the correct implant size

+1
There are a number of ways to help choose the correct implant size. First, most surgeons will provide you with sizers, which you can try on with a special bra. These give a very close representation of what you will look like after surgery. Another extremely accurate method of giving a visual idea if what your results will be is with the aide of 3D imaging software. These sophisticated computer programs take a 3D image of your breasts and then show you what you will look like in 3D after your augment. Finally, as a rule of thumb, for every 200cc of implant volume , equates to one cup size. In order to go from an A cup to a C cup would require about 300 to 400 cc's.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Choosing an implant

+1

I think most would agree that the look of the breasts and their proportion to the body is more important than the actual cup size.  Based on your dimensions and your desire for a C cup, you would likely be in the 325-425 cc range.  Try on some implants of various projection within this implant volume range using a sports bra in your plastic surgeons office and get an idea of what each type and volume will result in in terms of shape and size.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Your options-----

+1

Initial examination to assess your chest wall, skin thickness, breast volume, and muscle developement--as well as the width of your breasts are all factors in the selection process. I suggest that you seek a surgeon who fully assesses your tissues, as well as your cosmetic desires to achieve an aesthetic and safe result.

William Loutfy, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

If your plastic surgeon really understands the look you want, it is his job to pick implants.

+1

How to pick breast implant sizes
Article by George J. Beraka, MD

1)  This is the most common type of question on RealSelf.

2)  It is the surgeon's job to pick the right breast implants, not the patient's. Implant selection is really pretty technical.

3)  Make sure your surgeon REALLY understands the look you want. Mentioning a cup size is not enough. Show your surgeon pictures of breasts you like.

4)  Then your surgeon has to tell you if your chosen look is realistic for your anatomy.  The most common mistake is to go too big.

5)  I recommend that  the surgeon NOT make a final implant choice in advance, because this is just an educated guess.

6)  The surgeon should have a large inventory of different size and shape implants available in the operating room.

7)  Then the surgeon can put sterile disposable implant SIZERS in your breasts during surgery, to see what a particular implant really looks like inside you. This is how to make the best choice. A sizer costs only $45, and takes all the guess work out.

8)  Finally, the sizer is discarded, and the correct breast implants (based on what you want and on your anatomy) are opened from the operating room inventory, and put in your breasts to complete the operation.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Natural looking breast implants

+1

There is no easy formula for breast implant size.  In the office, my breast augmentation patients are examined, measured and fit with sizer implants to help determine the best fit for them.  Given your proportions and the desire for "natural" looking breast implants, you would most likely desire moderate plus smooth round silicone gel breast implants 225-300cc.

Michelle Zweifler, MD

Breast implant sizing

+1

The more breast surgery I do the more I realize that there is no correlation between the size or model (profile) of implant used and resulting cup size.  This may have to do with several factors including: the amount of breast volume the patient starts with, the shape of the patient's chest wall (concave or convex), the type and model of breast implant selected (saline/silicone  and low/moderate/high profile), bra  manufacturer variance  in cup sizes, the  degree  of filling of the cup  with breast tissue,  and the subjective differences in patients perceptions of cup size. 
Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depends on several factors:

1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.

2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.

3. The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.
On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.

4. The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.