What Size of Sports Bra to Buy After Breast Augmentation?

I'm 21 5'8" size 8 and after having my son I went from a 36E cup to a 34A. I've booked in to have Breast Implants over the muscle 340cc.

I'm unsure of which sports bra to buy for after the surgery. I'm hoping for the a D cup. I'm wondering if this on avg would be correct? I appreciate any advice given. Thank You.

Your surgeon should supply you with a bra at breast augmentation surgery

+3

After a breast augmentation with breast implants I will routinely place my patient in a nice stretchy bra. Many surgeons have different ideas which bra is best so I would discuss this with your surgeon. As to the size of your breast after a breast enlargement, I would not make a guess. As you know there really is no such thing as a cup size. The cup size depends on the bra company that made the bra. With some bras you will find you are a B, another a C and even another a D. In fact some bras can't be worn by different women because the shape of the bra is different than the breast.

As how to tell how big you want to be I would recommend that you have your surgeon put different size implants in a nice stretchy bra and let you pick the size that meets your own personal body image. There is also now a new 3-D photo system my Mirror which can actually measure the volume of your breast and then show you what different implants will look like after surgery. They however are relatively expensive and few and far between. Either way you should make the size decision in conjunction with your surgeons advice as to the size and shape of your present breast and chest wall.

Do I need to buy a sports bra for my Breast Augmentation?

+2

Hi there-

I would ask you plastic surgeon what he/she prefers for his/her patients...

In my practice we provide the postoperative bra and its cost is included in the cost of the surgery because I like to have consistency and be able to fit the bra to the patient's outcome.

Web reference: http://www.DrArmandoSoto.com

Sports bras give support following breast augmentation

+2

It is difficult to know ahead of time which size sports bra to purchase for your breast augmentation surgery. I will provided a starter bra for my patients at the time of their surgery. I will usually bring a few different sizes to the OR and decide at that time which size works best. I will then have my patients purchase an extra sports bra based on the size I used in the OR. I usually recommend a patient buy a bra that has a zipper or clips in the front to make it easier take on and off. The most important thing is that the bra is snug but not to tight so that is uncomfortable.

Good luck with your surgery.

Munster Plastic Surgeon

Sports bra for after breast augmentation surgery

+1

Surgeons tend to disagree about postoperative activities and instructions. Therefore, it is best for you to discuss this with your surgeon. From what you have described I believe that a C cup is sufficient. But a D cup would allow for swelling in the early post-operative period.

Bra Size After Breast Augmentation

+1

Thank you for the question. Unfortunately, there is no way to predict what cup size you will be wearing after  your breast augmentation procedure. You will need to go “bra sizing” after the procedure and recovery time is complete.

Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depends on several factors:
1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.

2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.

3. The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.
On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.

4. The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  in my practice I find the use of goal pictures to be very helpful.  in your case you could use your own before breast-feeding pictures as the goal. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible. 
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/choosing-your-size.htm