Different Size/shape 11 Days Post-Op BA, Should I Be Worried?

I have 325cc in my right side and, I think 450cc in my left though I'm not sure, for the first 3,4 days after surgery they were both high, hard, and very round. I am now 11 days post op and my right breast which pre op was bigger has dropped and looks and feels normal, my left which pre op was much smaller is now larger, quite firm and very round. My left side pre op was about a AA, will my left side lose its very round shape and drop to be more like my right side? Or could it be a hematoma?

Breast asymmetry immediately after augmentation

+1

Hi Samantha.  It's VERY common to have asymmetry early after breast augmentation. This can be the result of swelling, your body's natural asymmetry, and other issues. I suggest you keep all of your follow up appointments with your board certified plastic surgeon and follow his/her advice.

I hope that helps and wish you all the best!

Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Concerns post breast augmentation

+1

Thank you for your questions. It seems from your note that you had breast asymmetry that required two different size implants. If you are concerned about hematoma in the left breast, then you should contact your plastic surgeon. Regarding the asymmetry and difference in the feel, it is too early to judge the outcome. Commonly after breast augmentation one breast looks bigger, higher and nmore painful than the opposite. If this is the case then you need to give it some time. It really help you a lot if you address your concerns with your plastic surgeon. Close communication will allieviate your concerns. 

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Breast asymmetry can definitely be corrected.

+1

Hi.

1)  As a generalization, if your breasts look quite different at 11 days, that is not a good sign and you will probably need a revision in several months.

2)  I would recommend a sonogram right now, which will diagnose a hematoma.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Different breasts pre operatively and different breast post operatively

+1

First and foremost if you're very concerned check in with your plastic surgeon.  It's not possible to diagnose hematoma without an examination.

In the absence of such an acute problem is likely 11 days out you are normal.  If you have a 125 CC difference between your two implants your surgeon likely felt that you had significant breast asymmetry to begin with.

When a patient has two identical implants there are often subtle asymmetries as the implants drop and settle.  When the implants are so different in their size you must be more patient in awaiting your outcome.

The larger natural breast with the smaller size implant will tend to look softer sooner and will likely look more natural when all is said and done because it has more breast tissue or camouflage on top of the implant.

The smaller breast with a larger implant will look tighter and firmer longer and will take longer to see its ultimate position because it will take longer for the skin on that side to relax.  That breast may ultimately look more implanty because it will have less breast tissue or camouflage. 

These are normal tradeoffs when trying to correct for a significant volume asymmetry.

In a perfect situation you would have two identical Breasts and two identical implants, but when the volume of the starting situation is different certain tradeoffs will need to be made.

I'm sure your plastic surgeon will help to guide you as you continue to drop and settle, but for now you're at the very beginning of a process where many changes will continue to occur.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry after breast augmentation

+1
Your post suggests that the breasts were extremely asymmetrical to begin with so it is not surprising that there would be a difference in how they heal and how long it will take the implants to settle down. The process can take between 3-6 months so, at 11 days postop, it is extremely early in the healing. The best thing you can do is to followup regularly with your plastic surgeon and to take a long range perspective on the outcome. Best of luck.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Too Soon to Judge your results?

+1

Because you are only 11 days post op surgery, I would ask that you be patient and allow things to heal. Please continue to visit with your surgeon to make sure that everything is healing nicely.

It may take 3-6 months ( sometimes longer) for both implants to settle into their pockets therefore allowing you to see the final results.  It is also common for one side to settle faster than the other.

Be patient - keep your follow up appointments and allow your surgeon to help you.

Differential size and shape after 11 days of post-op

+1

You are only 11 days out from surgery; therefore, it is too soon to say.  You will not know the exact shape for about three months.  However, it seems like you were very asymmetric prior to your breast augmentation.  Your right side will relax sooner than the left.  The left breast will lose the round shape but it will take much longer.  However, given your preoperative asymmetry, you will likely maintain some degree of asymmetry even after 3 months though.

Sugene Kim, MD