What Size Would You Recommend to Increase One Cup Size? Now A Cup (photo)

I'm a 32A and would like a full B or small C cup. What size of breast implants would you recommend me?

Implant selection

+2

Ir is difficult to suggest to you what implant size would be best to increase your cup by one size. A formal exam and discussion would be critical.  Measuring your breasts at the minimum would help clarify a range of implants that may satisfy you.

Answer to RealSelf.com question regarding breast augmentation

+2

I have found that coming to a decision about breast implant size is one of the most difficult things to achieve.  There are not only a number variables related to implant size, body size and structure, existing breast size and shape, but also variables related to one's perception of "size."  I have found that  what some patent's perceive as a C cup, others might perceive to be a D cup.  It is therefore helpful to review many photographs of other patients and their pre/post-operative shape and size to come to a mutual understanding.  It is fair to say that the larger the implant, the more "fake" the final result appears.  This should be kept in mind when making a decision about your implant size.

Because of the variability of results from patient to patient with the same sized implant, I usually use a sizer in the operating room to help assess for final size and shape.  After the implant pockets are created, I place a temporary sizer and evaluate the size.  I have found this to be quite helpful in improving overall patient satisfaction with size.  

I would recommend that you go for a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and discuss your goals with him/her.  Good luck to you.

Eric T. Emerson, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

What's a (Breast) Cup Size?

+2

Bra Cup Size is a frustrating stumbling block in the path of clear communication and result visualization between the women and their Plastic surgeons. The truth is THERE IS NO STANDARD CUP SIZE to which Plastic surgeons can refer to and advise you with anything close to certainty. Currently, every bra manufacturer decides what proprietary volume to call an A, B, C etc. As a result, an A in one line is frequently NOT an A in another. To further confuse matters, implants come in different diameters and heights (regardless of their volumes) so a discussion limited to implant volume as related to breast projection will be flawed as well.

In general 200-250 cc MAY represent an increase in a cup size.

Rather than focusing on this way of guessing future breast appearance, look for a surgeon who offers VECTRA 3D digital imaging. The system takes a 3D image of your breasts and torso and can simulate your appearance with ANY breast implant on the US market. That would give you a WAY BETTER idea of what and how to choose an implant than cup sizes and cc's.

Good Luck.

Peter A Aldea, MD

What size implants?

+2

In general you estimate that 150-200cc will increase one cup size. However this is only an estimate and depends on your physical traits such as height, weight, chest size, breast shape and tissue compliancy. Your surgeon should be able to help fine tune this.

Ronald Schuster, MD

One Cup Size...

+2

Breast implants should be selected based on the dimensions of your breast and chest wall and after discussing with your plastic surgeon how you want your breasts to appear after surgery.  Your surgeon can then recommend for you a range of breast implants that are appropriate and together you can select the right sized implants for you.  A specific cup size cannot be guaranteed but can be used as a goal when selecting from the implants offered.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Size Recommendation

+2

Without knowing what your breast base diameter measurement is and what your image of a full B or large C cup is, it is impossible to give any helpful information about breast implant size. That information can only come from an actual in-office consultation. You also have some other important considerations that will affect the outcome of your breast augmentation such as your widely spaced breasts, large areolas, and a mild amount of breast sagging. These are all issues that play just as an important role in the appearance of your breasts after surgery as does the size of the implant.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Two questions in one

+2

You have asked two questions today with the same photos, one about submuscular vs subfascial implants and the other how to get one cup size increase.  The main thing to know is that you do not have an easy starting point and the most important thing of all, more that anything else, is to get an implant wide enough to close the wide gap in the middle.  

Submuscular is better and the width you need may well add more than one cup size.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast Cup Size?

+2

Unfortunately, there is no direct correlation between  the size of breast implants  and the resulting cup size.

In planning your breast augmentation procedure it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon. Iin my practice I find the use of goal pictures to be very helpful.  In your case you could use your own before breast-feeding pictures as the goal. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible. 
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

BBA

+1

There is no way to guarantee a particular bra size. Bra sizing varies greatly between bra manufacturers and a C in one bra will be a D in another. What matters more than the assigned bra size is the way the implant looks on you. The best option for your body and aesthetic goals can be determined in a thorough implant sizing session.

Implant sizing depends on several factors. One of the most important factors is your breast width. Generally, your surgeon will measure your breast width, and then provide you with a range of implant sizes appropriate for your native breast size. There are more nuances to it than just what I've described, but this approach works for most women.

I usually have my patients bring in a large bra and a tight t-shirt to do sizing. I'll then choose 3-4 implants that I feel are appropriate, and have my patients place them in the bra under the tight t-shirt. My patients can then look in the mirror and get a good sense of what they will look like with the provided implant sizes. My patients like this approach and get a great idea of how they will look.

By using this technique, your surgeon can outline a range of appropriate implant sizes that will be aesthetically pleasing, and you make the final decision.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Sincerely,

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Proper Implant Selection

+1

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD