What Size & Profile Implant Should I Choose for a Natural Look? (photo)

I'm 5'9", 140lb. with a medium C cup, & dense breast tissue. No fullness on top, but don't need a breast lift. My PS suggests high profile between 475 and 500cc because I am so tall. I want a bit more than natural to more "woo hoo, nice implants". Want full up top too.I wanted mid/moderate profile, but the only ones that fit my diameter are 397 in mid & they look pretty small to me. I also DO NOT want "cones" so I am nervous about high prof. Should I do 475 high or will they be cone boobs? Help!

Size & Profile Implant for a Natural Look

+1

Your objectives indicate conflicting objectives. A more natural look can be achieved with a moderate profile. To provide more fullness in the upper pole may lead to less natural looking results with the use of high profile implants. To resolve these conflicting objectives, you may wish to either request another consultation with your surgeon and/or consult with 2 - 3 additional board certiifed plastic surgeons.

Conflicting desires in breast augmentation

+1

What you have done is describe conflicting outcomes.  "Natural" comes from moderate profile implants only.  If "natural" means the best that nature could make.  More fullness in the upper pole than that is not natural but can be achieved with mod plus and HP implants depending on your starting point.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

In search of a natural look

+1

What  one patient considers too small another considers too big.The subjective aspects of breast augmentation are difficult to deal with. I utilized a computer simulation presently to illustrated the difference between the various implant volumes and sizes. While this is presently an imperfect solution I feels its helpful to the patient.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Best implant size and profile

+1

The implants you suggest will give you a very projecting breast with smaller base diameter in the small to medium DD cup range.  If that is what you are after, go for it.  To test the look, as suggested previously, use an appropriate sizing implant inside your bra and top.  Try lots of different combinations and see which YOU like the best.

Robert Stroup, Jr., MD, FACS
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Implant size

+1

In my practice I have the patients try on implants in our bras and see what size and shape creates the look they are trying to achieve. . Once the general size is determined then we begin to discuss the profiles and base width, etc. This has worked well for me with essentially no size change procedures needed. In your breasts a high profile implant should be fine so don't be as concerned with the profile, rather the volume and look.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Choosing implants

+1

Without an exam, it is hard to say what would be best for you, I put many HP implants in and I think they look very natural in the right patient.

Implant profile

+1

My advice to you is to forget about profile and let the surgeon use the profile that will fit your breast the best.  A high profile implant does not usually give "cone boobs".  You have no reason the be nervous about high profile.  In my practice I use a temporary sizer in the operating room to finalize what volume of implant it will take to give you the result you are wanting and then select the profile of that volume that fits your chest wall the best.  I have a large selection of implants available and just use the ones that are best for you.  After doing it this way in over 2000 breast augmentations it has been a proven procedure.

Sincerely,

Gary Hall,MD

Gary Hall, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Picking the right implant

+1

This is a very common question on this forum.  Each plastic surgeon has his or her own different approach.

In my own practice we keep silicone gel implants of all sizes available for patients to try on in a testing bra.  This is not a perfect teaching tool because under the muscle implants tend to lose some projection, but because my patients look it actual implants on their frame I find it the most helpful.

I encourage my patients to bring a friend or friends for a second or third opinion, and to bring a few different shirts.

I suggest as you look at implants you think about the relationship between the width of the breast and the width of the shoulders and hips.  Two wide will make you look top heavy, too narrow will make the breasts look like torpedoes. I personally like to see the outer curve the breast have balance with the curve of the hip.

Once we hone in on the right diameter we then look at the projection of the breast which changes the cup size.  At the correct diameter we can use a high moderate or low profile implant depending upon the patients goals.

Depending upon the starting situation, and the degree of droop we adjust accordingly.

Photographs of your goals are helpful, but they don't always tell the whole story.  They don't always let you know a height and width of the entire patient.

The 397 implant is wide, and at 5' 9" based upon the photographs I see it likely fit your frame nicely.  If you're looking for more upper poll projection a 500 CC high profile would have a similar diameter.

If you're thinking more natural, lean towards the moderate.  If you're thinking more sexy, lean towards the high.  At 5 feet 9 inches tall both are reasonable options for you depending upon your goal.  Based on what you've said if you think the 397 looked small you will probably happier with a high profile. My strongest suggestion would be to try each one on again in the testing bra. Because the diameter is similar on frontal view you will look about the same.  On lateral or side view you'll see the difference in projection.

Best of luck in finding the right size.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Best Breast Implant Size?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

Unfortunately, I cannot tell you what breast implant size or  profile will best serve to achieve your goals. With my patients,  I often do not know exactly what breast implant size/profile will work best until I'm in the operating room and have used sizers ( with the patient asleep and sitting upright).  I then compare the patient's appearance on the operating table to the patient's goal pictures which are hanging on the operating room wall.

Having said that,  given that your goals are to look “natural” AND have some superior pole fullness/volume,  be careful that you do not end up with a breast implant that is too small. 

I would suggest that you communicate your goals clearly with your plastic surgeon and allow him/her some “artistic license” to choose a breast implant that will best achieve your goals.

Best wishes