What Size Will my Surgeon Make my Breasts? Is it Possible to Go From DDD To A Large B Small C?

Hello everyone. Im awaiting my insurance approval for my breast reduction due for may 25th, and i am very excited. My consult went pretty quickly and i really didnt get to discuss desired size. My doctor is using the anchor technique. I am a DDD and would like to be a large B, small C. I am 20 years old, 170 pounds, athletic and 5'3". Is this size possible?

DDD to a large B or C cup possible.

+2

Given your height and weight it seems possible to make your breasts the desired size. You still have time to call your surgeon and ask your questions. I see all of my patients a second time a week or two before surgery to answer any questions they may have and encourage them to call if additional questions arise.

Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Reduced breasts must be proportionate to your body size

+1

It is possible for your surgeon to remove as much breast tissue as you desire and can make you a B or C.  However, if you are 5'3 and weigh 170 lbs you will look disproportionate.  It may be desirable for you to be a C or D.  I am concerned that you are undergoing the anchor shaped technique.  This technique was developed in 1956 and leaves unattractive vertical scars.  Also, the weight of the breast is supported bu the vertical incision and tends to widen.  The smaller your cup size the more visible the scars will be.  I would consider alternatives (The Ultimate Breast Reduction) that eliminate vertical scars, leaves the breasts more proportional size and relieves pain by transferring the breast weight to the underlying muscle.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D. 

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast size after reduction

+1

Once your surgery has been pre-authorized, you should make an appointment to see the plastic surgeon for a re-consult.  I do this with all my breast reduction patients.  Your plastic surgeon might have thought it premature to go into post-op size considerations with you prior to obtaining authorization because, at that point, the entire surgery is hypothetical!  Good luck with your insurance company!

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Breast reduction is one of the most satisfying procedures in plastic surgery

+1

The happiest patients in plastic surgery are kids with cleft lip repairs and women having breast reduction.  The issue with target cup sizes is a difficult one to hit on the mark, but one can get close.  Breast reduction candidates tend to want smaller cup sizes, whereas breast augmentation patients are more routinely looking to push the envelope on size.  Whatever the case, a large B or small C is certainly possible to get to from a DDD.  I have gone almost completely away from the anchor type incision and do almost exclusively a vertical reduction (lollipop incision), even on patients with F or G cups.  I find that the lack of the bottom scar helps prevent a boxy breast deformity better.  I also often combine it with a little liposuction on the lateral axillary folds in order to flatten these areas so that they do not stand out once the breast size is reduced.  Whatever approach is used, it should be done by a competent plastic surgeon with lots of experience in any of the given techniques.

Andre Panossian, MD, FACS
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Breast Size after Breast Reduction?

+1

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. By removing “excess” breast tissue, adipose tissue, and breast skin  this operation reduces and lifts the breasts to a higher position on the chest wall. By doing so, patients often find improvement in neck, back, and shoulder discomfort and find it easier to form their activities of daily living and exercise.

As you can imagine, it is not possible to give you accurate advice without direct examination or viewing pictures. However, generally speaking, it should be possible to reduce your breasts to a relatively small cup size.

Unfortunately,  no plastic surgeon is able to accurately predict what cup size you will end up wearing after breast reduction.  As you know, breast cup size will differ depending on the bra  manufacturer.  Therefore communicating your goals in reference to achieving a certain cup size may be confusing and/or a source of dissatisfaction.

I would suggest that you communicate your goals with your plastic surgeon ( I prefer the use of goal pictures)  and ask him/her to do his/her best to achieve the results you are looking for.  Again, I would suggest that you base your communication of goals on achieving a certain “look” and proportionality with the remainder of your torso, not on achieving a specific cup size.