What Size Should my Nipples Be if I Am Estimated to Be a C Cup After Breast Lift?

I am trying to decide what size nipples I should be reduced to when I have my upcoming major lift / mommy makeover. My doc said he uses a 3.5 cm marking ring but I find that a little small. In your opinion what size would you recommend for an estimated C cup 36. Thanks

Areola size is a matter of preference

+1
Areola size is a matter of preference - larger breasts tend to have larger areolae. If you are used to having large areolae you may prefer a 4.2 cm size. It may be helpful to look through photos of women with your estimated final breast size and find areolae that you think are the right size. Show these to your surgeon. Good luck!

Areola Size Is Personal Preference

+1

In the vast majority of patients, areola size is a matter of personal preference. When patients have larger breasts, they generally require larger areolas to achieve harmony and balance. In most breast lifts, we prefer the utilization of 38 to 45 mm areola sizers. The exact choice is dependent upon the patient’s anatomy and personal preference.

It’s important to discuss this issue with your plastic surgeon before proceeding with breast lift surgery. Your surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that will meet your aesthetic goals. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Nipple size - Proportionate is Best

+1

I always try to make the nipple proportionate to the breast size.  If my patient has a preference on size, I will honor their wishes.  (In some cases, their anatomy might make their wishes impossible to attain, but this is obvious pre-operatively, and we can discuss this issue during the consultation.)  The final result of nipple size depends on how the body heals and tissue stretch, but this is strongly influenced by how the surgery was designed / performed.
Dr.B

Michael A. Bogdan, MD, FACS

Nipple Size Reduction

+1

Hello. Areola size is purely aesthetic. For this reason, the decision will be up to you. 3.5 cm is fairly small; I usually use a 3.8 cm or 4.2 cm marking ring. If you do not agree with your doctor, make sure they are aware so that you can both be on the same page.

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Lift Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Adjustment of areolar diameter with breast lift

+1

Hi there-

I would discuss this with your surgeon before surgery, as there is some "wiggle room" with regard to the diameter of your aureolas after surgery. This is going to be a matter of personal preference (yours)- there is no commonly agreed on number at which all areolas will look best.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Areola size after breast lift

+1

Please communicate your concerns to your surgeon.  But keep in mind the areolas do stretch a bit after a breast lift.  This is true if you opt for implants.  The final size will depend on 1) surgical technique  and 2) your skin quality and healing potential.    Best of luck.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Nipple Areolar Complex Size on a 36C Breast

+1

Thank you for this excellent question.  I have always used a 35 - 38 mm cookie cutter for C cup breasts.  One of your earlier responders, Jay Burns M.D. of Dallas, Texas, makes an excellent point about an even smaller post op areolar diameter.  Since you consider 35 mm small, I probably wouldn't go any smaller if I were you. 

Two things to remember.  One, this is your body and you have a choice.  Two, don't forget they all stretch out a little bit post surgery. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Areola Size after Breast Lifting?

+1

Keep in mind, that the size of the areola after breast lifting surgery can be adjusted  according to patients' preferences ( to some degree).  Keep in mind also that some degree of spreading of the areola does occur in most cases postoperatively. Communicate your preferences with your plastic surgeon.

Nipple and areolar size

+1
This is a very good and interesting question. What you are referring to is the ideal areolar size. While this is subjective to an extent, I believe there is an ideal relationship between the size of the nipple and areola. One must always keep both in mind. If you have nipples that are larger, it will look awkward with small areola and vice versa. I plan for a 2:1 areola to nipple base diameter. In most patients that translates into the 38mm areolar cutter. This is a discussion you should have with your board certified plastic surgeon as I am sure they can accommodate many sizes.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Proper areolar size

+1

I have changed my view on this topic after 25 years of being a plastic surgeon. 

To be honest, as plastic surgeons , more of us were taught to use an areolar sizer of 38-42 on average. That is how most of us were trained and these sizes were chosen based on averages. In every standard breast instrument set, it comes with 38 to 42 mm sizers. 

However, my viewpoint and practice changed a few years ago when a patient demanded that I give her a 28mm areola. I knew her from past surgeries but was very concerned about this size being too small. However after a very lengthy discussion, she was absolutely sure of her decision.  

I gave her this size areola and it was the most attractive youthful areola I have ever produced. It stretched slightly as they all do post operatively but it was small youthful and perky. I do them all that way currently and have developed a following in some cases because of the preference of this smaller areolar complex. 

However you can choose any size you want. Just know that the size immediately after surgery will expand to some variable degree that is out of the doctor's control. 

Jay Burns, MD