Mentor Saline Mod. Profile 450cc / 480cc - What Size Will I Be?

i 5'6" 148 lbs breast feed 5 kids i was a medim b and i got mentor saline mod profile rt 450cc lt 480cc i am 4 days past surgery and i am a d what size do you think i will end up with after they drop and fluff

Breast cup size after augmentation

+3

Despite preoperative sizing exercises, it is still difficult to predict exactly what cup size  will result with a particular size implant.  Cup sizes are also somewhat subjective.  If you started out with a B cup and are now presently a D cup 4 days post op,  after swelling has subsided, you may be slightly smaller but probably will still fill a D cup with 450/480 size implants. 

Breast implant sizing

+2

The more breast surgery I do the more I realize that there is no correlation between the size or model (profile) of implant used and resulting cup size.  This may have to do with several factors including: the amount of breast volume the patient starts with, the shape of the patient's chest wall (concave or convex), the type and model of breast implant selected (saline/silicone  and low/moderate/high profile), bra  manufacturer variance  in cup sizes, the  degree  of filling of the cup  with breast tissue,  and the subjective differences in patients perceptions of cup size. 
Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depends on several factors:

1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.

2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.

3. The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.
On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.

4. The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Mentor saline Mod Profile 450cc/480cc - what size will I be?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question. In general, implant size does not correlate with bra cup size. The cup size itself will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer as well as who is doing the actual measurements. Thus, cup size is never a reliable indicator for your breast size. I typically encourage my patients not to communicate her desires in cup size but more on the actual look and appearance. Given your desires, a breast augmentation, with an implant or fat grafting, would be an ideal procedure that would meet your expectations. Breast augmentation is now the most popular procedure performed in plastic surgery today. One tolerated very well by women with minimal downtime and high patient satisfaction.

Good communication between you and your surgeon of your expectations is warranted - choosing your surgeon wisely is the first step. Discussion of your wishes and having an honest and open dialog of your procedure is mandatory (e.g, implant type, incision, placement, etc). I have found that photographs brought by the patient is helpful to get a visualization of the appearance you wish for in terms of size, shape, fullness, etc. In addition, your surgeon's pre and postoperative photographs should demonstrate a realistic goal for you of results. Sizers are helpful during an in-office consultation. Once this has been accomplished, allow your surgeon to utilize his/her best medical judgment during the procedure to finesse the best possible result for you after preoperative biodimensional planning and fitting the right implant for your breast width. This is the most important determinant for the sizing of implants, which will provide the optimal result and most aesthetically-pleasing result for you.

Consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon well-versed in breast procedures who will examine and discuss with you the various options and factors to consider and help you decide which one will be the right one for you. Hope me that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Implant Selection Process

+1

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Implant volume choices

+1

A 450 cc implant will usually increase your cup size by 2 to 2 1/2 cup sizes.  This is only an approximate number and cup size will vary between the different manufacturers.  Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource for helping you pick the correct breast implant to match your body.

Using 450-480 cc breast implants

+1

You will probably be around a D cup. However, t is very easy to be confused by this measuring system. Cup sizes are only used as estimates for clothing. Although the measuring technique for determining cup size is precise, the results of these measurements are not. Let me give you an example; weight is a very accurate measurement. However two patients that weigh 120 lbs are not likely to look alike. The same is true with two patients that have C cup breasts. This is why physicians tend to use volume (cubic centimeters or cc) as a more accurate measurement. Note: If you are trying to figure out what breast implant size you want to obtain, you can try the szing tool available through b4bra.com or read the articles about measuring there.

Size is a complex decision that is not only based upon your height, weight and current cup/bra size but ALSO on also on your breast diameter, waist, shoulder, and skin envelope measurements. These can only be assessed in person during a consultation. A good place to start is using my "Find your perfect size" tool listed in the left hand column of my bodysculptor.com home page. Another good place to look is the searchable database section of the physicians' photos on implantinfo.com. Best of luck.

Please see our website for a description of the procedure: bodysculptor.com You can view some of Dr. Placik's patients or many other patients by visiting the website:photo gallery

How big will I be-cup size wise?

+1

This is very difficult to answer.Cup size will vary from one bra manufacturer to another and also it will depend on the size you are at the time of the augmenation.You could get a bra equal to size you want to be and see if the doctor can put in a sizer to see what you would need to get you to the size you want to be.That will be a pretty good indicator.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Cup Size Hard To Know Since There Is NO Standard of Measurement

+1

With breast cup size, there really is no standard of measurement, so you may range afterwards from a D to a DDD/E.  Do not be alarmed - it all has to do with the bra type, etc.  As long as you are happy with everything, it should not matter what bra size you wear.  Also, remember that you are going to lose about 5- 10% of the volume you have right now when everything settles ( people call it dropping and fluffing) after a month or so.  For someone your size, that 450-500cc rnage is a good size and should match your frame well.  I hope this helps

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Breast Size After Augmentation

+1

Cup size after Breast Augmentation cannot be guaranteed. Generally, the 450 cc range is roughly a D cup. If you have full B cup overlying tissue, it could be a DD.

Hayley Brown, MD

Breast size vs. breast implant size

+1

Breast implant surgery is not like buying clothing. You can't order a specific size. Although the surgeon can make some estimates as to final breast size he/she will always be off. This is due to the fact that breasts are made up of variable quantities of fat & breast gland. Although in general younger women have a greater percentage gland & older women have a greater percentage fat it is not possible for even the educated eye to accurately estimate the percentage composition just by looking at the breast. Because fat is more compressible than gland tissue 2 women with different breast composition (fat vs. gland) can have the same size breasts before surgery & have the same sized breast implants placed but end up with different sized breasts.
The one with a greater percentage of gland tissue in the breast will be larger. In your case it is impossible to give you an answer because we have no idea how much swelling you have. The only thing that could be said for sure is you should not be larger than you are now after the swelling has resolved and things have settled.

Aaron Stone, MD