Not Sure What Size Implants? (photo)

Recently had my first consultation and not sure what size implants would be best. I am a saggy 34D at the moment, getting a lift and implants. Tried on 340cc and thought they looked ok? I have a very flat chest so want them to have fullness and I am tall with broad shoulders so would like them big enough for my build/frame. I don't want them to look huge or fake! Thanks!

What size of Breast Implant should I choose?

+2

I have found that coming to a decision about breast implant size is one of the most difficult things to achieve.  There are not only a number variables related to implant size, body size and structure, existing breast size and shape, but also variables related to one's perception of "size."  I have found that  what some patent's perceive as a C cup, others might perceive to be a D cup.  It is therefore helpful to review many photographs of other patients and their pre/post-operative shape and size to come to a mutual understanding.  It is fair to say that the larger the implant, the more "fake" the final result appears.  This should be kept in mind when making a decision about your implant size.

Because of the variability of results from patient to patient with the same sized implant, I usually use a sizer in the operating room to help assess for final size and shape.  After the implant pockets are created, I place a temporary sizer and evaluate the size.  I have found this to be quite helpful in improving overall patient satisfaction with size. 

Based on your photographs, a 340 cc implant seems reasonable, although I might consider slightly larger implants.  Another issue that needs to be carefully evaluated and discussed is the position of your nipple in relation to your breast mound and your infra-mammary fold.  Without an examination, it is not possible to accurately determine the position of your nipples, but they appear to be slightly below your infra-mammary folds and on the lower poles of your breasts.  This anatomy will affect your outcome and you may need to consider some type of breast lift at the time of your augmentation.  

I would recommend that you go for a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and discuss your goals with him/her.  Good luck to you.

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Proper Implant Selection

+1

Thank you for sharing your photos.  In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Choosing the size of implants

+1

Based on your description and photographs, a breast lift and augmentation are indicated. While size is the element that most patients and families focus on, it is not the most important factor in creating a beautiful natural looking result. The appropriate size can be best decided upon after physical examination and a more detailed review of your objectives, lifestyle, and lifestage.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Size is NOT the most important factor

+1

From your photographs, your breasts are too low.  You need a lift more than implants.  Three hundred forty cc implants will increase 2 cup sizes.  You will go from a 34 D to a 34 DDD.  At 34 DDD, you will have difficulty finding clothing and bras that fit.  There is a new technique that lifts the breast without vertical or inframammry scars.  The entire procedure can be done through a single incision around the areola that will lift the nipples, lift the breast tissue and allow access to place the implants.  All 3 should be aligned in the same horizontal plane to give maximum projection.  If you go with 340 cc implants, you will look fake.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Choosing implants

+1

Yes, based upon your photos it looks like you need a lift. As for the right implant, it is difficult to say without a proper evaluation in person.

Implant sizing

+1

I help my patients select the correct size with two methods:

1. Dimensional planning and
2. A Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. Even your fitness levels and other relevant criteria are taken into consideration. It is you who will decide what you are comfortable with.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for.

This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.

Hope this helps.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Not Sure What Size Implants?

+1

Based on the 2 posted photos you need a lift + implants. But as to size I believe 340 cc could be fine. Only an in person evaluation will allow for a more definitive answer. 

Best Breast Implants for Me?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures

I would suggest that you do the following:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This if communication will be critical in determining which operation and/or breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "huge and fake” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

You probably don't need breast lift.

+1

Hi.  I hope you find this article useful.  This is the way to decide on best implant size.  340 cc's is in the right range.

1)  This is the most common type of question on RealSelf.

2)  It is the surgeon's job to pick the right breast implants, not the patient's. Implant selection is really pretty technical.

3)  Make sure your surgeon REALLY understands the look you want. Mentioning a cup size is not enough. Show your surgeon pictures of breasts you like.

4)  Then your surgeon has to tell you if your chosen look is realistic for your anatomy.  The most common mistake is to go too big.

5)  I recommend that  the surgeon NOT make a final implant choice in advance, because this is just an educated guess.

6)  The surgeon should have a large inventory of different size and shape implants available in the operating room.

7)  Then the surgeon can put sterile disposable implant SIZERS in your breasts during surgery, to see what a particular implant really looks like inside you. This is how to make the best choice. A sizer costs only $45, and takes all the guess work out.

8)  Finally, the sizer is discarded, and the correct breast implants (based on what you want and on your anatomy) are opened from the operating room inventory, and put in your breasts to complete the operation.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Implant size with a lift

+1

You state that you are already a D cup, but are saggy.  A lift alone will reposition your breast tissue to a normal level, and you will still be a D cup.  If you put in an implant of over 300 cc, you will probably end up with an E cup or more.  Is this what you want?

Michael Leff, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon