Which Size Implants Would Look Better: 5'6" and 133lbs

I am 5'6" and weigh 133 lbs. I am having a silicone breast augmentation next month, but I'm still confused as to which size to go with. I'm debating between 371cc and 397cc. I don't want to appear too large, but I also don't want to regret not going large enough. Any suggestions?

Choosing the correct implant size.

+2
It is often difficult for patients to choose the perfect implant size. A board certified plastic surgeon is very comfortable in guiding you to make a good decision. A combination of body measurements and you preferences are used. You should try the implants under a special bra as well. I like to use the Vectra 3D system so that you can visualize the results with different implants. In your particular case, keep in mind that 15cc is a tablespoon, therefore the difference between the two implants is almost negligible.

El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Implant Selection Process

+1

Without examining you, I would recommend the 397 if you are going under the muscle.  In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Breast implant size

+1

It is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Picking the "right" implant for you.

+1

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning

2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. Even your fitness levels and other relevant criteria are taken into consideration. It is you who will decide what you are comfortable with.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for.

This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.  So try these implants in the office to pick which look you like the best.  Best of luck!

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Implant size

+1

It can be very difficult to suggest an implant volume without seeing a patient.  There are differences in breast tissue volume, rib configuration, and circuference.  All these play a role with implant choice.  An office visit , with a board certified plastic surgeon, will help you choose a size suitable for you.  Many offices offer sizers that the patients can try on , this will give you an idea of what a volume will look like on you.  Good luck on your journey.

Rodger Wade Pielet, MD (in memoriam)

Look at pictures to help decide implant size.

+1

First of all, a difference of 26cc (397-371) represents less than 2 tablespoons' full, so this is a subtle but important difference. Your final size depends on the amount of breast tissue you start with and is also influenced by other factors like skin looseness and droop. You can help clarify this situation by looking at photographs (e.g., on the internet) of patients with body types similar to yours who have had augmentation in this size range. Of course, you can also seek a second opinion with another surgeon prior to surgery or revisit your first surgeon. I hope this helps.

Steven Goldman, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Your breast dimensions should drive your choice of implant

+1

Your present breast dimension should drive your choice of specifc implant.  Measurements of your breast base will determine the implant footprint.  Using this footprint as your starting point you can then choose the projection based on the maunfacturer.  Major manufactures have create designs based on measured desirable norms in the population.  They market them using different terminology such as mod, mod plus, high profile.  What is important is the actual measured projection and base footprint match to your breast.

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

+1

I usually recommend going larger if you are choosing between two sizes, because it is rare for a person to complain about being too big after surgery only too small. And you'll always be second guessing yourself no matter what you look like because instead of looking with your eyes you'll be looking with a number you have in your head.

David E. Kim, MD

Breast augmentation

+1

It is not just the size in terms of volume but the diameter and projection of the implants. The two sizes you are comparing are 1 ounce different.

David L. Abramson, MD

Breast implant size is only a number

+1

Years after breast augmentation, few individuals can remember the size of their breast implants. We feel it is best to focus on how you want to look. The important one is you, not how your surgeon, your friends, your husband, or even your mother feels you should look. Give the surgeon guidance and do your homework with photos, bras, etc. so that your look or goal is clearly in mind. Let the surgeon use his experience to  choose the correct number and give your the look you want. (and 371 and 397, very little difference if any)

peterejohnsonmd