What Size Implants Should I Go With? And Silicone or Saline? (photo)

I've been saving my money to get breasts implants and I was wondering about what size I should go to without looking too huge and fake and silicone or saline? I'm 5 foot tall, 150 lbs (I want to lose 30 which is why my boobs are going to shrink) 36D bra. I have absolutely no cleavage though. I want them closer together and higher up but I don't want to go with a lift because of the scarring. Would you recommend silicone or saline and about what size to make them up and rounded?

Breast Lift and/or Augmentation w/ Anticipated 30lb Weightloss

+1

I think the concensus is worth noting. Always obtain your best stable weight for a while before embarking upon plastic surgery to areas which will shrink or loosen following weight reduction. When you drop 30 pounds, it is clear the breasts will sag further. You may need an implant augmentation plus a lift at that time most likely.  Regardless of the amount of weigh loss anticipated from now forward, you can undergo a periareolar circular scar breast lift with no T or vertical scar, from the photos shown here.  This is the advanced areolar lift not the donut lift.  If you lose weight and drop to a small C cup, the lift alone with tighten but shrink the breast cup size, and again, some prosthetic augmentation will be necessary. Some doctors are performing what is called an autoaugmentation, using your own breast tissue in combination with a t scar lift, and this may improve the position of the nipples and breast position.  It should not be performed if you are anticipating a weight loss. The most common cause of breast droop after a breast lift is in patients who then shed a lot of weight or those who have generally thin and elastic skin and very large nipples.   Follow your heart and do not be impatient to embark on surgery too soon.

Breast Implant Size

+1

Thank you for your question and photos.

Because you stated that you want to lose 30 pounds, I would suggest that you lose the weight prior to your surgery. I ask patients to be at a stable, long term weight so that we have a higher chance of success achieving the patient's goals.

From the photo, it looks as if you may need a breast lift and if you lose 30 pounds, the ptosis (drooping) may be increased.  I would not suggest ONLY getting breast implants (without a breast lift) as this will not give you a cosmetically pleasing result.

In regards to the use of saline versus silicone breast implants, each type of implant has its pros/cons associated with it. Some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.

Visit with well experienced board certified plastic surgeons to get the best advice.

Best Wishes.

Implant Sizing

+1

I help my patients select the correct size with two methods:

1. Dimensional planning and
2. A Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. Even your fitness levels and other relevant criteria are taken into consideration. It is you who will decide what you are comfortable with.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for.

This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Weight loss and implants

+1

First, if you plan on losing weight, I suggest waiting to have surgery.   More than likely you will need implants and a lift.

Size of implants after weight loss

+1

Would definately recommend the weight loss prior to surgery if it is realistic for you to lose 30 lbs.  You will probably find more drooping and get a much better result with an augmentation mastopexy.  Be wary of anyone who says that they can create a lift with a large implant.  You might wind up with sagging large breasts that will only look good in a bra anyway.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

What type of Implants are the Best?

+1

From your photos, it appears that your breasts are already in need of a lift. Thirty pound weight loss will make this even more noticeable. If you are looking for just larger breasts in clothes, then an implant alone should suffice. However, an attractive result would almost certainly need a simultaneous lift. The exact volume would need to be determined between you and your physician.

You should see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to get a formal opinion through and in-person consultation.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Either saline or silicone gel would be a good fit

+1

Based on your photographs, either saline or silicone gels could be used. I certainly would place them in a submuscular position after your 30-pound weight loss. The size would be difficult to suggest based on your photos alone. Good luck!

Donna Rich, MD

Start will a fuller implant in a D-cup breast

+1

The larger the breast at the start, the fuller and larger the implant necessary to fill out and augment the breast. You will looking at 500cc or greater, and of course will go up to a DD in bra size. Both silicone and saline will look quite well, and the choice depends on cost, incision size, and hassle factor detecting and implant leak down the road. 

Implant size

+1
Since you are planning weight loss the question is premature. First lose the weight and then evaluate the size and shape of the breasts. Do not have any preconceived notions because weight loss affects women individually. Silicone versus saline is a matter of personal preference and goals. In terms of the breasts being closer together, this should be discussed with a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Size of Implants

+1

Implant size and shape are important decisions in an augmentation. I utilize computer imaging to give the patient an idea of the result with different size and shaped implants.Saline and silicone implants have a similar look the main difference is feel.

Jay M. Pensler, MD