What Size Implant Would You Recommend for Me?

Hi, I am having a mommy makeover on 3/7. I'm having a tummy tuck, with flank and inner and outer thigh lipo, a right breast lift, with saline mentor moderate profile plus implants placed sub muscular, I'm having a hard time with size...please any suggestions would help. I keep hearing over 350 is dangerous, but surgeons I see all reccomend I go at least 400cc's, I picked 400 filled to 425, any advice I am 29, 5'6 1/2" 133lbs, 39-28-37, 34 small b cup, I nursed 2 babies, and at was a 38D then.

Choosing Ideal Implants for Mommy MakeOver

+3
Your Tummy Tuck and Liposuction results would give you a spectacular result. As regards the choice of the IDEAL breast implant, you have the wrong idea of implants heavier than 350cc; They are not "dangerous" (such as deleterious to your health) but they ARE associated with faster stretching of the breast skin, resulting in re-sagging of the breasts and in thinning of the breast tissue resulting in small amount of breast tissue covering the implants. The BEST Breast Augmentation result by picking an implant which can be fully covered by YOUR current breast tissue. Doing so will cover the implant folds and make it look more natural. In cases such as yours, where there is not a lot of breast tissue but you may like larger breasts, you may do better with silicone gel implants which ripple less than saline and are slightly lighter (=less sagging). In my practice we take breast implant sizing very seriously. Once the patient understands the need for breast coverage issue I allow my patients to pick from the implants which would work for them BOTH by using implants but increasingly with VIRTUAL BREAST AUGMENTATION 3D computer imaging. Using the VECTRA X3, a highly detailed photograph is taken by a computer and subsequently the computer can generate close estimates of what you may look after surgery with ANY Breast Implant on the US market. Look for a surgeon in your area who uses the Vectra X3 3D camera. Good Luck. Dr. Peter Aldea

Implant size

+2

Dear CittyCat in Ashland,

Have you shown your plastic surgeon pictures of breasts that you would want to look like? If you have and the surgeon confirms that this size will achieve the result, then I would base your confidence in them. Though from the photos I am not sure that a mastopexy would be necessary, it might be based on your expectations. Best of luck with the procedure. From your photos you look like a reasonable candidate.

Marc Schneider, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Implant size

+2

Your reputable well trained Board Certified Plastic Surgeon will listen to your concerns and upon examination recommend the treatment options to best address your concerns. This is also true with the size of the implant. Do some research and find a reputable surgeon in your area. There are several factors which will determine your final size.Ttogether you and your surgeon can find the size that will address all of your individual concerns.  Best wishes!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Size Individualized

+2

When implants choices are made for a patient, there are alot of factors that come into play.  You have to take into account not only the breast size and shape, but also height/weight/frame and goals.  In your case, based on your dimensions and pictures, I would think something in the 400cc range would give you your ideal look.  Without measuring you it is impossible to know what profile of implant, but you want something to match your breast width diameter pretty closely.  I am not sure where the "dangerous" above 350cc comes from.  Certainly, as the weight gets larger, the greater the chances of having some degree of saginess over time, but there are plenty of women who go larger than 350cc and never have an issue.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

I would advise against lift

+2
Your breast are uneven and minimal ptosis. I would strongly advise avaunt the lift. You will get enough lift with implant and do not need the lift at this time. The other concern is to do the lift on one side which will sag different than the other side. Regarding the size I would suggest 350 but filled to 400-425 to give the maximum lift(over fill make saline implants more like high profile and under fill makes the rippling noticeable).

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

How to pick breast implants.

+2

How to pick breast implant sizes

Article by George J. Beraka, MD
Manhattan Plastic Surgeon1) This is the most common type of question on RealSelf.

2) It is the surgeon's job to pick the right breast implants, not the patient's. Implant selection is really pretty technical.

3) Make sure your surgeon REALLY understands the look you want. Mentioning a cup size is not enough. Show your surgeon pictures of breasts you like.

4) Then your surgeon has to tell you if your chosen look is realistic for your anatomy. The most common mistake is to go too big.

5) I recommend that the surgeon NOT make a final implant choice in advance, because this is just an educated guess.

6) The surgeon should have a large inventory of different size and shape implants available in the operating room.

7) Then the surgeon can put sterile disposable implant SIZERS in your breasts during surgery, to see what a particular implant really looks like inside you. This is how to make the best choice. A sizer costs only $45, and takes all the guess work out.

8) Finally, the sizer is discarded, and the correct breast implants (based on what you want and on your anatomy) are opened from the operating roon inventory, and put in your breasts to complete the operation.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Selecting the right implant for you

+2

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1. Dimensional planning

2. Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. Even your fitness levels and other relevant criteria are taken into consideration. It is you who will decide what you are comfortable with.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for.

This way your preferences are known and we can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.  Hope this helps.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

A breast lift on only one side will likely just result in a scar without much improvement in symmetry

+2

Good luck with your surgery - it is difficult to be sure but I would be wary of performing a breast lift on only one side given your pre-op photos - it is unlikely to enhance the symmetry of your breasts and will leave a scar.

W. Tracy Hankins, MD

Choosing breast implants

+2

The wider you go (not just choosing volume!!), the more the cleavage will be filled in but you are too wide apart to ever have tight cleavage.  You have an easy tummy but tough breasts to make great.  It really shouldn't be "your choice" of the implant but an agreement you come to with the expert opinion of an experienced plastic surgeon. Good luck.  

I'd personally not do the leg lipo at the same time because you don't need it much and the major lethal risk of a tummy tuck is blood clots and hurting your legs and abdomen and breasts at the same time will potentially make you less able to walk which is the critical thing you can do to prevent DVT and PE.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Implant choices

+1

350 to 400 is not a large difference. It is hard to say whether or not this volume  would be best to reach the desired size. You can do a baggy test of try sizers on to see how the volume fits in a bra for you.  An exam is key.