How Do You Know What What Size Implant You Can Go to After the Expander is Taken Out?

Tissue expander exchange for implant

+4

I base my choice first on the type of expander I pl;ace which is basd upon the patients origianl breast shape and their chest anatomy. AS I fill the expander I encourage my patients to let me know at what volume they like it the most.  I then size them up from there.

Implant size after tissue expansion and mastectomy

+1

The tissue expander is chosen on the width and size of your original breast. Then, as expansions progress, you tell the surgeon when you like the size and he/she will stop. I typically expand about 50 cc more because the expanders are high profile and project a great deal. When an implant of the same volume is placed, it can look smaller than the tissue expander even though they had the same volume in them. For example and in other words, a 400 cc filled expander looks bigger than a 400 cc implant. So, go to 450 cc on the expander and the resultant 450 cc implant will look like the expander did when it had only 400 cc in it.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS