5 Months After Liposuction I'm the Same Size I was Before, Why Would this be? (photo)

I had liposuction done 8.25.11. When it was done I swelled up about 3 sizes bigger. It has gone down now ( 5 months later) but I the same size I was be for but little more shapely in hips. Is this normal. I went for a yearly to family doctor and found out I had edema (pitting in legs) Do you think the liposuction caused it? I am having a secondary liposuction surgery to correct the unsatisfactory results and am very concerned about having it done.

Liposuciton with no change

+2
I do see a change, albeit subtle. My impression, upon seeing your photographs, is that you were not a candidate for liposuction baed on the bulge of your abdomen and needed a tightening procedure on the abdomen. Liposuction would not be implicated in pitting edema of your legs; this should be worked up for a cause, which could be vascular or cardiac, prior to undergoing any additional surgery.

Why Liposuction Failed?

+2

Hello. Thanks for writing and especially for posting the pictures. From the side view, I can see some improvement in your silhouette. It appears you might have been expecting too much from one liposuction treatment. The only cases where we have seen fantastic results with a protuberant tummy like yours is when someone changes their lifestyle to become much more physically active along with a low carb diet.

The pitting of your legs is another issue. That can be caused by problems with the heart, kidneys, or liver. Let your family doctor help you search for the cause. Do that before anything else.

T. Wayne Day, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction results

+1

Looking at your photos, it is possible that other alternative procedures such as tummy tuck surgery could yield the results you are after better than liposuction, but without a personal consultation I couldn’t say for sure. I see a slight difference from before, but understand your frustration. I would recommend going back to the original surgeon who performed your liposuction if you are comfortable doing so and haven’t already, as well as consulting with several board certified plastic surgeons so that they can help you determine which procedure will best meet your needs. It’s also important to bring up your history of edema after liposuction during the consultations so your prospective surgeon will best know how to address your cosmetic issue while minimizing the possible side effects.

David Whiteman, MD

Same size after the liposuction

+1

Let me start by saying that liposuction would not cause pitting edema of the legs. As to commenting on the visible changes after your liposuction, without knowing the technique and amounts removed, it is hard to comment on. I think asking your surgeon their impression as to what happened is important as they were there. It might be that some of your appearance is due to intra-abdominal fat that will never be reduced with liposuction

Julio Garcia, MD

Is your doctor a plastic surgeon?

+1

Quite honestly, you do not look like a good candidate for liposuction and it is very possible that you went to a non-plastic surgeon who didn't have the courtesy to tell you this.  Also, you need to tell what your weight was before and after surgery.  If you gained weight, all bets are off for lipo results.  The edema can reflect serious health problems with your heart so you should get this evaluated before any more liposuction.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Liposuction Results

+1

in my opinion, you do not look like a good liposuction candidate.  An in person examination would be necessary to know for sure, but it looks like a tummy tuck / abdominoplasty would have been more appropriate for you.   I would seriously consider this prior to having another round of liposuction.

Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

You will gety better rtesults with tummy tuck

+1

You were not a good candidate for liposuction alone and that is why you are did not achieve the result you expecting. You were and are a good candidate for tummy tuck. You have separation  of the rectus muscle and revision liposuction is waste of time.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction Candidate?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

I would suggest that, prior to undergoing any further surgery, you be evaluated by your internist.  You need to figure out the reasons for prolonged lower extremity edema.

By looking at your picture series,  I wonder if you were a good candidate for liposuction to begin with.  If not, this would explain why your results are less than satisfactory  and not as dramatic as you would have hoped for.

For example, if the major concern in your case was muscle laxity or intra-abdominal adipose tissue,  then liposuction was not indicated in the first place.  You should seriously consider whether further surgery will help you or not.

Make sure you are working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Was liopsuction right for you

+1

Your abdomen is quite prominent in the photos, and this may represent internal abdominal fat, and muscular laxity, as well as external abdominal fat reachable through liposuction. The first concern is straightening out the swelling in your legs. Next you should rethink if liposuction is the correct procedure for you.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Liposuction and results

+1

First, liposuction is not an answer for dieting, and it does not treat laxity of the muscles.  Remember also that liposuction does not remove all the subcutaneous fat because that would leave contour irregulaties as well. If not satisfied you should talk to your doctor.