Size Difference in Breasts?

My left breast is slightly smaller than my right. I am getting a breast augmentation in two weeks and tried the rice test. With the rice inserts the size difference in my breasts seems exaggerated and a lot more noticeable. My doctors assist. said they do not do different sizes unless the patient has at least 1/2 cup size difference in breasts, looking at mine clothed, she said I didn't. I'm still unsure. The assistant also said he does not do in-operation sizers. currently 32a/b want 32D

Doctor refuses to consider what you, the patient desires?

+1

Doctors have their own way of doing things but the bottom line is you are the patient and you can choose who you what to be your surgeon.  Your surgeon should work with you and EDUCATE you as to why the have their preferences.  Regardless, this is your choice to make and only yours.  BTW, I don't use sizers because the patient also picks their size before surgery.  And 95% of the time, they are delighted with the result they have.  Find doctors the work WITH you.

Size Difference in Breasts?

+1

Every surgeon has their preferences; I do intra-operative sizers during surgery if there is a size discrepency, but it sounds like your doctor doesnt, so I am not sure what you can do about that! Good luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation with asymmetry

+1

All women have something different from one breast to the other. That's why your a woman and not a robot :). Three dimensional imaging can help determine the differences in size. I also find it helpful to have patients try the implant sizes in a bra in the office to fine tune the symmetry of size implant choices.

Michael Horn, MD

Breast Asymmetry

+1

To some degree everyone has some breast asymmetry. When planning a breast augmentation, it is important to determine if the degree of asymetry merits using two different sized implants.

Over the past several years, we have used 3D breast simulation systems to help with the surgical planning. These are very precise in determining volume differences between the breasts- much more so than rice or implant sizers alone. Since incorporating them into our practice, it has become more common for us to use two different implants and we have found much more symmetrical results than in the past.

Please discuss this option with your surgeon. 

Lawrence Iteld, MD

Breast Asymmetry Prior to Breast Augmentation?

+1

As you know, some degree of breast asymmetry is more common than not for most patients. I tell all of my patients that, although we will try to improve the breast asymmetry as much is possible ( using pocket dissection techniques and/or different sizes/profiles of breast implants),  that they should  expect some breast asymmetry postoperatively. In other words, absolute symmetry of the breasts  after breast augmentation is rarely achieved;  therefore communicating the need for realistic expectations prior to surgery is very important.

Every patient has to listen to me saying that the breasts will be “sisters not twins” or  “snowflakes, each pretty but different”. 

You certainly want to feel comfortable with your plastic surgeon prior to proceeding;  if your gut feeling is telling you to seek additional opinions, do so. 

Choosing Implant Size For Uneven Breasts

+1

Thank you for the question. It is difficult to give an accurate opinion without the aid of pictures. Having said that no woman is perfectly even. Some are more uneven than others. It is therefore not unusual that one would use differing size implants to give the best post operative symmetry possible. If the difference between the breasts is 100 cc or more one can expect a difference in the appearance of the breasts post-op.

If unsure, talk to your plastic surgeon again not his assistant. If after a second discussion there is still some doubt, then get a second opinion. I hope this helps. Best of luck.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD

Breast augmentation, breast asymmetry

+1

Your surgeon should have the expertise to evaluate how to adjust for any breast asymmetry you have.  This is purely a clinical diagnosis based on your physical examination by your plastic surgeon.  If you are having saline implants, breast asymmetries can be adjusted for by filling one implant more that the other.  Silicone implants come pre-filled, so the surgeon must decided if two different sized implants will help adjust for any existing breast asymmetry, or make it worse.    Two different sized implants may be used for significant volume differences between breasts.  If two different sized implants are chosen however, there are other variables involved, such as the base dimension and projection of implants that are not of the same size, and how that may affect your final result.

Diane L. Gibby, MD

Use different size implants if needed

+1

I frequently see patients with different sized breasts and frequently use different size implants. Trying on sizers pre-op is useful. I routinely sit the patient up in surgery and try in the different temporary sizers and see if different size implants give better symmetry. This has been very successful and my patients appreciate the extra time spent to get them the best results possible. If you are not comfortable with your surgeon's assessment, now is the time to get another opinion.

John Squires, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast size difference

+1

First, if are questioning the decision made, do not proceed until you are comfortable.  Second, without photos describing breasts using 'cup' size has little meaning.  There is no standard regarding what a cup 'is'.  Visually, if your breast have a noticeable difference, then different size implants may be better.  Remember, no one has perfect symmetry.  Even if you use different implant sizes you will not.  You must be comfortable with the decisions prior to entering the operating room.

Steven S. Carp, MD
Akron Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry

+1

I think the best person to ask is your surgeon. All breasts are asymmetric, and unless there is a significant volume difference, then I would agree stick with the same size and shape implant.