I'm 5'7, 117lbs, with a 27 inch ribcage. What size will take me from a 32A to 32C? 360cc or 400 cc UHP implant? (photo)

My stats are 5'7, 117 Ib and 27" ribcage. My surgery is in two weeks but I keep going back and forth on size. I want them to be large enough to give me cleavage but not overly large. A regular C cup would be nice. I am getting them under the muscle so that makes a difference.

BBA

+1
There is no way to guarantee a particular bra size. Bra sizing varies greatly between bra manufacturers and a C in one bra will be a D in another. What matters more than the assigned bra size is the way the implant looks on you. The best option for your body and aesthetic goals can be determined in a thorough implant sizing session.
Implant sizing depends on several factors. One of the most important factors is your breast width. Generally, your surgeon will measure your breast width, and then provide you with a range of implant sizes appropriate for your native breast size. There are more nuances to it than just what I've described, but this approach works for most women.
I usually have my patients bring in a large bra and a tight t-shirt to do sizing. I'll then choose 3-4 implants that I feel are appropriate, and have my patients place them in the bra under the tight t-shirt. My patients can then look in the mirror and get a good sense of what they will look like with the provided implant sizes. My patients like this approach and get a great idea of how they will look.
By using this technique, your surgeon can outline a range of appropriate implant sizes that will be aesthetically pleasing, and you make the final decision.
I hope this helps. Good luck!

Sizing breast implants and results in cc's

+1
I would disagree with the responses here except that it's difficult to determine sizes without an exam. I would also disagree that using external sizers to determine cc's of volume and its effect is effective.
Cup sizes are far from exact and there is no way to easily measure your current size in cup sizes or volume in cc's. 
The answer to your question, however, is reasonably straightforward because it's more like fitting your foot to a shoe or your body to a dress than choosing a size or a number of cc's and making it work. The difference is that you can't try on a breast implant in the same sense as trying on a shoe or dress. The key is making sure the implant fits behind the base of your breast and knowing what the effect of the forward profiles will be.
In general, an implant that fits the base of your breast is determined by measuring the width of your breast upright with arms down. About 3/4 to 1 cm is subtracted to allow for the skin level. In a round implant in the subpectoral position, this can be positioned behind your breast without distorting it, without worrying if it will fit during surgery, and will fill out the base of your breast with a natural look. The forward volume or profile of round, smooth surface implants that are scaled for the width are low, medium, and high profiles (not always called that). The effect of the lowest profile implant that fits the base width of your breast will make your breasts look about one cup size larger. The high profile implant of the same width will make you look about two cup sizes larger, and the medium will be in between. Since you look like a mid to upper A cup now, if you want to look natural and about two cup sizes larger to a mid to full C cup, you should choose a high profile, round, smooth surface saline-filled or gel-filled implant that is a bit less than the width of your breast. The number of cc's is determined by looking up the correct diameter under high profile implants. If you or the surgeon chooses an implant that is too big for the base width of your breast you risk creating distortions and unnaturalness and the need for revisional surgery. It's like trying to cram too big a foot into too small a shoe. You might get it to work without distortion and problems but why not use something you know fits and what effect it will have. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Right implant

+1
Thank you for your question about breast augmentation.

• This is a difficult question to answer long-distance
  • Choosing an implant is the MOST complicated surgical decision - so many choices.
  • But 400 usually ends up a D cup (by which I mean, larger than normal)
  • You are tall, slim and tiny around the chest. 
  • An UHP profile will give you volume but may look unnatural.
  • The 360 sounds the better choice. But if the 360 is also a UHP....
  • maybe you should to back to your surgeon and try on moderate and moderate+ profile to see if these might work for you. It's work deciding, I know - but you'll be sure you make the right choice. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

27 inch rib cage

+1
A 27" rib cage is tiny. That means you breast diameter is some where in the range of 9-10cm at best. 360-400cc UHP implant would definitely make you a D post op. If your looking for a C it would be around 300cc. I always tell patients not to be concerns about cup size. I recommend trying in sizers to find a cup size you are comfortable with and go from there.

Johnny S. Chung, MD, FACS
Allentown Plastic Surgeon

I'm 5'7, 117lbs, with a 27 inch ribcage. What size will take me from a 32A to 32C? 360cc or 400 cc UHP implant?

+1
My over the internet guess is 400 to 450 cc range UHP implants. Best to discuss in detail again with your surgeon... 

How to go from a 32 a cup to a C cup

+1
Generally speaking it takes between 150 cc to 200 cc to increase 1 cup size.  Therefore 400 cc of breast implant would be expected to increase your cup size from A to C. However I agree it is best to go back to see your plastic surgeon and undergo a breast implant sizing system evaluation.  During this the surgeon will place different sized implants into your non-padded bra so that you can see how you will look.

In my opinion it is more important to try to achieve the look you want rather than to be focused strictly on cup size.  The breast implant sizing system allows you to do this.  You can also do the Rice test in the privacy of your own home.

Alter high profile implants create a distortion of normal breast anatomy.  A moderate profile plus is a more natural appearing breast implant shape.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation

+1
In breast augmentation I have chosen to spend time reviewing photographs with patients to fully understand their expectation of size and shape. Many times this simply raises more questions. I will make measurements and use the implant guides to allow the patient to understand exactly the sizes that are reasonable for their body type and measurements.

Please find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and member of the Aesthetic Society using the Smart Beauty Guide. These Plastic Surgeons can guide you on all aspects of facial surgery, breast augmentation and body procedures including tummy tucks or mommy makeovers!

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

Cup size

+1
Since there are no standard cup size definitions, I would hesitate to make the recommendation that you are seeking. 

I would suggest that you try on implant sizers in your surgeon's office, and the surgeon can use that info along with breast measurements to recommend the implants to use. I would expect an implant in the 400 cc range will give a 2 to 3 cup size increase. I suspect that an ultra-high profile implant will look rather unnatural on so thin a frame as you have.