Breast Implant Revision - What Size is Best?

I am 5ft 120lbs and I currently have 275 round smooth saline filled to 300cc's. I am considering a revison to get silicone but I would like my breasts to be a little fuller and have more cleavage. My doctor recommended 350cc's. Will this make enough of a difference given how petite I am? I am hesitant on the high profile because I dont want to have the "fake" look. I currently wear a 34D but I do not fill the bra on the top. The roundness of my breasts fill the bra but my upper breast does not.

Breast Implant Revision- Choosing breast implant size

+2

usually, saline implants are perkier than silicone impalnts, therefore, by increasing your breast implant size by only 50 ccs will not make a significant difference. I agree with you that a high profile implant makes breast look too fake without giving women enough cleavage and upper pole fullness.

Silicone high profiles

+2

In general, going up 50 ccs will not make any visible difference.  This is especially true of going from saline to silicone. If you wanted NO change going from saline to silicone, I advise may patients to go up 25-50 ccs since silicone is more pliable and many times does not look as "big".  The increase of 25-50 cc is for NO appreciable change.

If you want a change, then I usually recommend 100-125 cc increase in size.  I think hi profile silicone implants are best in petite frames and they do not have to look fake.  In any case, lastly think about the 34 D which you are now.  You may well end up being a DD , although these days many of my patients love their breast size and are shocked that they are "DD."  They really do not think of themselves as "DD" but that is what some bra companies size them at.

Have a very long conversation with your surgeon and even seek a second opinion on size.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Best Size for Implant Revision

+1

Even for revisions, it is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be tough to answer your question. For example your native base width of your breast will determine in many cases the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Additional critical decisions will also be made by your plastic surgeon such as: whether your implants will be above or below your pectoralis muscle. These choices are recommended to you based on the look you desire, the amount of sagging you may have, and other deciding factors. I always find it helpful for patients to bring in photos from my or other plastic surgeons’ websites to illustrate what they would like to look like. I bring these photos to the operating room for reference during surgery so that I have the advantage of “seeing through my patient’s eyes” to achieve their wishes.
I personally order more than one set of implant sizes and use sterile sizers placed in the pocket during surgery to know in advance exactly which implant would work best for you. Software morphing programs can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn't work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts).

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Breast implant sizing/type

+1

It is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

+1

It is my experience that if you are exchanging saline to silicone and have 300cc now, then changing to 350 silicone will be a wash; in other words, you will not look or feel noticibly fuller.  If you want more cleaveage and upper pole fullness, a lengthy discussion with your surgeon about what you are looking for is recommended.  You will likely need at least 100cc more, and the profile of the implant may need to be a lower profile than what you already have to give the cleavage and upper pole fullness.  At least the same profile, but not a higher profile.  (The higher the profile, the smaller the diameter when you are comparing the same volume.)

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breas implant size and style

+1

Which breast implant size and style that would best help shape your breasts is determined by your chest wall and breast dimensions. Your chest must be able to accomodate the implant size and style you are considering. An appropriate evaluation of your nipple projection, desired breast mound width, and limitations of your chest wall diameter, nipple areola complex to inframammary crease lengths must all be considered prior to making above decisions.

Arian Mowlavi, MD
Laguna Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implnat revision, 100-150cc for a difference

+1

We are with you, we do not particularly like the HP implant for most. You will find that you will need about 100 to 150cc to make a visible difference in your cup size as you size up from the saline to silicone gel breast implants.

peterejohnsonmd

Adding 50cc to implant size will not be visible!

+1

Please realize that adding 50cc is the same as adding 3 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon of volume to each breast. Put 3 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon of water in a glass and see how much that volume really is. Then imagine adding that truly minuscule amount to each breast--I can tell you from experience that you will not be able to see any difference! To begin seeing a difference you will need to add 100cc or so, and you should understand that about 125cc equals one-half cup size! Another way of estimating volume is by understanding that a 12 ounce can of pop is 360cc! Adding less than 1/7th of a can of soda over an entire breast's volume is not going to make a visible change!

If you want to add fullness to the upper poles of your breasts, you and your surgeon must first determine the correct size increase to fulfill (no pun intended) your wishes, then, based on your breast pocket base dimensions, determine the base diameter of the implants needed to give you that volume. This might be a moderate plus profile or a high profile, but could conceivably be a moderate profile implant. The bigger you want to go, the higher the likelihood of needing a high profile implant.

You also requested more cleavage, and that may require a wider (lower profile) implant on each side, and may require opening the pocket a bit more in the center (but not too much, or else a symmastia--the unaboob--may result).

One final consideration is that you may not fill your bra in the top because implant position is too low. If this is the case, you may require raising of your inframammary crease, not larger implants! For more information please read my article on this site "What is the Right Breast Implant Size for You?" Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Implant sizes

+1

I fyou want more fill 50 cc's may not do it for you, but I like HP more than most implants especially in narrow framed patients.

Breast implant revision

+1

The appearance of the augmented breast is based on a variety of factors, not only implant size. It is based on the amount of breast tissue you have naturally, the postion and shape of the breast, the location of the nipple and your overall body shape.  Achieving the desired fullnes you request and the improved cleavage may require more than simply placing a larger implant. It my require a pocket adjustment.  You mention that your upper breast does not fill the bra, and you are already a D cup.  A larger implant will increase your bra size but you might require a lift to give you the fullness you mention. I would not  reccommend a high profile implant as these tend to be narrower, and will not fill the upper pole or provide increased cleavage because of their narrow base. The appearance of a high profile implant tends not to be as natural as well.  It is important to thouroughly discuss your desired outcome with your surgeon to make sure you are both on the same page. As an aside, I will frequently replace saline implants with silicone implants that are slightly larger, such as what you are describing and achieve tha improvement that you wish .

Beverly Friedlander, MD
Short Hills Plastic Surgeon