What Size and Would I Need a Lift?

I'm 5'7", 172 lbs, current bra is 36D. No where near overweight. I gave birth 2yrs ago and after breastfeeding, I'm not pleaded with my girls. I want to know if I'd NEED a lift and what size to go. I'm not a full D. Prior to birth I was a 38 DD. I wouldn't mind a small DD though. Also, I'd like the implant to be placed behind the muscle.

Implant for One Cup Size Change

+1

For an increase for the breasts by one cup size, 200 cc to 250 cc is usually the amount.  Breast lift advice can only be given if examined or if providing proper photos.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Hughesplasticsurgery Los Angeles, CA

Hello

+1

Without seeing a picture or an exam we cannot say whether you would need a lift. If you would need a lift a modest implant will give you superior fullness and most of the time it’s done with a lift.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Lift versus implant

+1

It's really difficult to recommend the best course of action for you based on the cup size information that you have provided.  A photo might help.  To be sure though, you will need an in-personal evaluation by a plastic surgeon.  It really depends on how much breast droop you have (ptosis) - and this is hard to answer in this forum.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Breast Lift and Sizing #breastimplants

+1

You will need an in person physical exam with a board certified Plastic Surgeon. They will be able to guide you along the correct path. Deciding on a lift or not depends on many different variables. but the most common guide we have is looking at where your nipple sits relative to your lower breast crease. If it sits well below the crease usually an implant alone is not enough, although in some patients it will be ok with a larger more projecting implant. I will break down breast sizing for you because it is very straight forward.    

In my opinion these situations that we find ourselves in with patients can be simplified. Sizing is not about a number. In fact, I do not even discuss numbers with my patients. If a patient walks through the door and says they want x-cc implants I have to educate them about how sizing works. The best analogy I can relate this to is buying shoes. When you go to buy shoes how do you do that? First you start with the size your foot is right? So if your foot is a 6.5 you try on all kinds of 6.5 size shoes. Some may be tall, some might be flat, and some might be somewhere in between. You would never try to buy a size 8 shoe because it would be too big for your foot right? Breast sizing is the exact same way. Implants come in several different profiles that are like different heights of shoes. Implants can be low profile, moderate profile, or high profile. There are even implants that are higher than high. That would be your high platform shoe. Each implant style give you a different look. Now, your breast has a defined width that we call the base diameter of the breast. This would be analogous to the show size. Your breast base diameter never changes. It is what it is. So now, you can choose several different style of implants that fit the number of your breast base diameter. That really narrows down what implant is best for you. So once you know your breast base diameter you can try the low, moderate, high or really high implants on. The only think you have to decide is which look you are going for. You would never put an implant that is 13 centimeters wide in a patient whose base diameter is 10 centimeters. Half the implant would be in the armpit. So, this is very simple to me. My patients get a few choices that fit their breast and that is it. I will not put an implant in a patient that is too wide for their body because it will harm them over time. Hope this helps.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Breast lifts.

+1

There are a few clues that make a mastopexy or breast lift a good possibility. The obvious one is that you were a DD cup brfore and now a D cup. While it is best not to use cup size a way to determine size and proportion, it is a clue here. Another good clue would be the amount of weight you gained in pregnancy. Pictures are a good starting point but you are best to get several consultations, not more that 3 or 4 though to determine what is best. I do not think that using larger than desirable implants are a way to do a lift. Examining the firmness of your skin and glandular envelope is a way to determine a good treatment for you. There are also newer ways to do breast lifts without larger external scars. Be sure that you speak with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with demonstrated experience and skill in these procedures.   

David R. Stephens, MD

Breast Lift and Breast Augmentation after pregnancy

+1

It is very common for women's breast to sag and loose volume after several pregnancies. Therefore, most women would most probably need some type of breast lift after pregnancy. A board certified plastic surgeon needs to first evaluate you, at least by pictures, in order to give you recommendations in terms of the type of breast lift.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Mastopexy With Implants?

+1

Thank you for the question. However without at least some pictures to evaluate your breasts, it is impossible to give an opinion. I would recommend to consider posting pictures to aid in the evaluation of your complaint. Whether or not a lift is needed is based on the severity of the pre-existenting ptosis (drooping). Minimal ptosis can most often be corrected with augmentation alone, anything more significant will require a mastopexy (breast lift) if the patient does not want to increase her breast volume, and with an implant if additional volume is desired.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD

Determining the need for a breast lift

+1

It is really not possible to give you an answer without a photograph or your specific breast dimensions and measurements.   In general, if your nipples are greater than 2  -3 cm below the crease behind your breast (Inframammary fold) then you would most likely need a lift with a breast augmentation.  If you have minimal sagging then an augmentation will be fine.  

Lift and or implants?

+1

Without an exam it is impossible to properly evaluate you. Certainly an implant can be palced if you wnat more volume, but if you need a lift then an implant will not eliminate the need.

Do you need a lift?

+1

We really need to see photos to determine whether you need a lift and implant.  the determining factor regarding the lift is the location of your nipples.  When I evaluate a patient for a lift, I take specific measurements of the location of the nipples to determine of they are too low down.  I can give you much better advice if you submit photos. Thank you!

Ronald J. Edelson, MD