Too Young for Rhinoplasty at 16?

Im a sixteen year old female. I have always had an annoyingly large nose but ever since I broke my nose when I was 11 or 12 I have had to deal with a bump in the middle and a slightly pointed end. Anyway I would love to have rhinoplasty to correct this. Im just wondering am I a suitable canidate or should I wait a few years? Thank you for your help.

Parents Consent Needed For Rhinoplasty At 16.

Thank you for your question. Generally speaking I prefer to wait until 18 to do a Rhinoplasty.

However if you are fully mature, an appropriate candidate physically and mentally, and have your parents approval and consent it is possible. Certainly in cases of Nasal Fracture surgery is appropriate to correct the deformity at age 16.

Too young for rhinoplasty (nose job)?

At 16 years of age the nose is nearly, if not completely developed. A full consultation by a board certified plastic surgeon will help you determine if you are ready for this life-changing step. At this age, parental consent is a must. I like to use the Vectra 3D system to help you visualize the changes in your own face prior to surgery in a life-like, three dimensional model of yourself.

Maybe and maybe not

The age for rhinoplasty depends on two basic parameters--maturity and biology.  Some patients even younger that 16 are mature, can articulate their surgical goals, and can cooperate with surgery--realizing that the result may not be perfect, no matter how hard patient and surgeon try.  You are old enough biologically--only your and your parents and your surgeon can evaluate the other aspects.

Good luck!

Mark B. Constantian, MD, FACS
Nashua Plastic Surgeon

Appropriate Age for Rhinoplasty

I have performed rhinoplasty series in female patients as young as 15 years old, provided the patients are mature emotionally, and have near full to full growth.  This is a safe procedure, provided it is performed properly.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty at age 16

Rhinoplasty at age 16 is generally acceptable, as long as your mid-face is adequately developed and you have realistic expectations. 

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty at age 16

It is certainly acceptable to have a rhinoplasty at age 16, especially since it has been broken.  Patients who are under the age of 18 must have consent from their parents to undergo the procedure.  

Appropriate Age for Rhinoplasty

That is not too young, 16 is a good age to have a rhinoplasty. Almost all females have fully developed facial structure by 14 years old. Your age 16 would not stop you from being a suitable candidate.

Correct age for rhinoplasty

Most females by age 16 are physically mature enough to have rhinoplasty surgery. Another aspect is emotional maturity and making sure your expectations are realistic.

You can your parents should visit with a few facial plastic surgeons or plastic surgeons who do a lot of rhinoplasty surgery to see what options you have.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Is 16 too young for Rhinoplasty

The rule is that once the nose has achieved the majority of its growth phase, a Rhinoplasty is OK.  The fracture, to your nose at 11 or 12 was more traumatic than a Rhinoplasty that uses surgical quality nasal fractures.  Have a few consultations with qualified Rhinoplasty surgeons that have good reputations...along with your parents.