Can I Sit on a Plane for 12 Hours, 2 Weeks After a Brazilian Butt Lift, Without Affecting my Results?

I live in Europe, and I've more or less made up my mind that I will have the Brazilian butt lift done! The biggest issue is that the flight back takes 12 hours, then there's a layover and then an additional 1 hour and 5 minutes for me to actually get home. What advice/recommendation would you give? I've planned on staying for 2 weeks... Would I put my "new" body in jeopardy by this flight? Can I get a doctors note that says I'm allowed to stand up or lay on my stomach on multiple seats?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Flying after a Brazilian butt lift

+2

Thank you for your question this is one of the most common things that patients ask. We have many patients that fly into Miami from out of town for this procedure. We let patients know that it is extremely important to perform the correct post operative care after a Brazilian butt lift.

We recommend that the patient avoid placing pressure on to the areas where the fat has been grafted for at least 2 to 3 weeks. This includes the avoidance of prolonged sitting. We ask that the patient ambulate as much as possible, as early as possible after the surgery. During the flight back, we ask the patient to sit on a cushion that they can obtain our practice during liftoff and landing. During the flight, we recommend that the patient get up every 10 to 15 min. and just walk up and down the aisle. This will avoid placing pressure on these delicate areas and also helps with circulation which is vital after any surgery. The feedback we've gotten from the patients after they have returned home has been extremely positive. Patients have stated that flight attendants on American Airlines, United Airways, US Airways, Tam, Continental, and KLM have been very supportive and have allowed our patients to ambulate freely. For their convenience, we also provide patients with a letter that they can demonstrate to airline personnel that informs them of our recommendations and their activity restrictions.
The success of a Brazilian butt lift is not only limited to the technique of the surgery and the experience of the surgeon but to meticulous postop care. We provide patients a garment that we have designed specifically for this procedure and also have several sitting accessories for our patients such as cushions, garment inserts, and portable chairs. If you need further information please contact our office and we be more than happy to help!

Web reference: http://www.miamiaesthetic.com/brazilian_butt_lift_photos.htm

Travel after Brazilian Butt lift

+2

This is very common question in my practice as my of our patients travel to Atlanta for Brazilian butt lift and other procedures such as SmartLipo. As you know Atlanta has one of the worlds busiest airport and there are direct non-stop flight to almost everywhere in the world. Our patients are informed to minimize sitting on their buttocks immediately after surgery for at least 10 to 14 days after surgery. However, those traveling long distance are further instructed to walk around in the plane as often as possible and to use very soft pillows for cushion and support. Yes, you can sit a few minutes during take off and landing. Prolonged sitting of more than 1 hour is not recommended immediately after surgery. The most important decision is to make sure that your surgeon is a board certified Plastic Surgeon. Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.georgiaplastic.com/body-procedures-atlanta/brazilian-buttock-lift/

Travel after a brazilian butt lift surgery

+2

We get quiet of a few of our Brazilian Butt Lift patients flying in from out of town and we allow them to fly back home 2-3 days after surgery.  However the flights are only a few hours.

My advice would be to get a soft pillow to sit on, and get up as often as you can.  Additionally, it depends on where your surgeon injects the fat.  If it is in the upper portion of your butt, then that is not an area that you actually sit on.  Just make sure you wear loose clothing that doesn't get tight around your butt.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD, FRCSC (Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute)

Web reference: http://www.torontosurgery.ca/Toronto-Brazilian-Butt-Lift.html

Sitting is not recommended after a Brazilian Butt Lift

+1

Hi there-

When the fat is initially grafted in your buttocks, it survives by absorbing the nutrients it needs from the surrounding tissues- but can only do so for a short time. If the fat cells do not develop their own blood vessels, they will die and be absorbed by your body.

The formation of these new blood vessels requires that you not sit for at least a few weeks after surgery (there will be significant variation between surgeons in terms of how long they prefer you do not sit). 

If you were coming to see me, I would not want you planning a flight back to Europe this soon after surgery. Please be careful- I know you will find some who will say whatever it takes to get your business, but I believe this is not in your best interests.

Web reference: http://www.orlandobrazilianbuttlift.com/Brazilian_Butt_Lift/Brazilian_Butt_Lift.html