My Sister Has a Fire Accident and That Caused a Large Keloid on Her Face.wat Can Be Done?

My sister has gone through a fire accident and that resulted in the formation of keloids and scars on her body. Main concern is that there is a large keloid developed on her jawline. What is the best cure for this?????? Its very important for us.

Treatment of jawline and neck keloids

+1

Jawline keloids have a high chance of recurrence. I would recommend excision with close monitoring afterwards for recurrence.

Scar Removal

+1

Cures for this are difficult.  Excising the keloid has risks, among them a bigger keloid.  She might first try a steroid injection, possibly laser, then think of surgery as a last resort option.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Burn scars

+1

A burn scar can thicken for one of several reasons.  The reason this thick scar formed is important when deciding on treatment

Treatment can vary depending on the findings on exam

Treatment can vary from lasers, to injections, to a soft tissue expander followed byscar excision and closure.

The best way to treat this is to see a physician who has experience treating burn scars and obtain that physician's opinion

Paul Carniol, MD
Summit Facial Plastic Surgeon

Keloids from burn scars

+1

The fact that there are so many treatments for keloids just underlines the inadequacy for any one therapy.  They arise from unresolved inflammation in the healing process with ongoing stimulation of collagen production.  Promising new techniques include needling with procollagen peptides or carboxytherapy for collagen reorganization.  Steroid injections, silicone gels and sheeting, and pressure with compression have been more traditional recommendatiosn with attempts to control inflammation before, during, and after excision if surgery is considered.  If the keloid is on the face or neck, excision with sheet grafting has been more effective now that acellular dermal matrix technology is available.  However, even after the surface is smoother, there will always be a visible scar from the skin graft.  Seek advice from reconstructive plastic surgeons working at your nearest burn center.

Randy Wong, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Keloids on face

+1

Unfortunately there is no real "cure" for keloids, although we can significantly improve the appearance of keloids using a variety of techniques. The most common technique would be intralesional cortisone, sometimes coupled with liquid nitrogen (in white skin). Other options include excision, with adjunctive cortisone injections or imiquimod cream applied soon after. Speak to your dermatologist about the best options for you.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Treatments for keloids

+1

There are a number of treatments available for keloids.  Keloids are difficult to treat but they can certainly be decreased in size and redness, as well as itchiness and pain.

The best approach is to consult with a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon regarding proper treatment for keloids. 

Methods that are used for keloids are:

• Silicone gel sheeting, which creates some compression and helps decrease the substance of the scar.  I advise my patients to use the silicone gel sheets on their keloids between treatments.
  • Intralesional injections of Kenalog, a corticosteroid, usually spaced 4-6 weeks apart.  Kenalog can be combined with 5 fluorouracil for more effectiveness.
  • Pulse dye laser
  • Imiquimod cream, with or without surgical re-excision.  Keep in mind, though, that keloids can potentially recur after excision and actually grow bigger.  Keloids in areas of tension or high mobility, like the chest, back and jawline tend to be more resistant to treatment.  Excision can be combined with intralesional injections of Kenalog and topical imiquimod.

Real care must be taken in seeking a highly qualified physician to treat these as all procedures except silicone gel sheeting carry their own risk of side effects.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon