I Have Sinus Pressure, Can I Get Rhinoplasty?

I have a bump on the bone of my nose, i think thats whats causing the sinus pressure. i get real bad headaches, & they last for at least 2 days. I'm not sure what is causing it, but i can't take it no more. Am i eligible to get rhinoplasty? if so, will my insurance company cover it. Please give me feedback.

Sinus Headaches Are Not Likely Related to the Bump On Your Nose But Both Could Be Fixed at the Same Time

+2

The bump is not likely causing the headaches, but both issues could certainly be dealt with at the same time. A Facial plastic Surgeon that does some ENT surgery as well would be a good place to start. Often this "combo" surgery (doing both cosmetic and insurance based surgery at the same time) saves you a bit of money for the cosmetic portion because the insurance company is paying for some of the anesthesia and operating room expenses already. Good luck.

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can the bump on your nose cause sinus pressure?

+2

I do not think that the bump has anything to do with your sinuses. On the other hand, the headaches may be due to sinus disease. See a good ENT for a consultation. Sinus surgery is generally covered by insurance. Cosmetic nasal surgery, like removing a bump, is usually not covered.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Having A Rhinoplasty Done With Sinus Pressure

+1

In most cases a rhinoplasty does not involve the drainage areas of the sinuses except, maybe temporarily while there is some swelling in the nose, which usually goes down over 6 weeks to 3 months. Therefore, in most cases the answer is yes.

John S. Poser, MD

Bump on nose unlikely to to cause sinus pressure and headache

+1

A bump on the bridge does not cause facial pressure.  Facial and sinus pressure are usually caused by allergic nasal polyps located inside the sinuses.  The diagnosis of polyps is made with a CAT scan of the sinuses and if polyps are present, they are removed with endoscopic sinus surgery.  Additionally, a bone spur on the septum in the posterior portion of the nose can also cause facial headaches and nasal obstruction and this is addressed with septoplasty surgery.  The rhinoplasty is a completely separate procedure performed for purely cosmetic reasons and is not covered by any insurance company.

Does a hump on the bridge of the nose cause sinus symptoms?

+1

The short answer is no. A hump on the bridge of the nose doesn't cause chronic sinusitis. This is because the sinus drainage pathways are several centimeters from the external nose.  Having a bump TO the bridge of the nose can cause sinus problems. However this is uncommon and typically requires a severe blow which shatters the nasal bones and damages the interior also. 

Oakley Smith, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sinus Pressure And Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Miranda,

The nasal bump you have does not cause the sinus pressure you have hence the headaches you are experiencing.

That being said, I believe that if you have a documented medical problem requiring surgery then your insurance should cover it depending on the healthcare plan you already have.

As for the nasal bump, it is a cosmetic issue and I do not believe that your insurance will cover it.

Thank you for your inquiry and the best of wishes to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Nasal Bump Causing Sinus Pressure

+1

Your nasal bump is not causing sinus pressure but you could have a rhinoplasty. Your ENT specialist will determine the etiology of the sinus pressure.

Sinus Pressure

+1

It is imperative that you have your sinus condition worked-up and under control before you have Cosmetic Rhinoplasty.  Consult a Facial Cosmetic Surgeon who is also a Head & Neck Surgeon.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon