ENT Doctor Capable of Combining Sinus Surgery with Rhinoplasty?

I'm having Sinus cavity surgery, but I also want a Rhinoplasty at the same time. I have to have sinus surgery because I have hypoplastic sinus cavities. So they need to enlarge the cavities so I can have proper drainage. So my questions are, 1) would they have to "reconstruct" my nose anyways to do that? and 2)I would like to have a Rhinoplasty at the same time, and Ive heard that it is possible, but by an ENT Dr? do they even know how? Are they even qualified or trained to do one?

Sinus surgery and rhinoplasty by ENT

+2

Many ENT doctors do not perform rhinoplasty. However, an ENT doctor who is also board-certified in facial plastic surgery is capable of performing endoscopic sinus surgery with rhinoplasty. All facial plastic surgeons original background is in ear, nose, and throat surgery and should be well versed in endoscopic sinus surgery techniques. Find a surgeon who has vast experience in both cosmetic rhinoplasty as well as the functional rhinoplasty. The most challenging part of this operation is finesse of the rhinoplasty, so make sure you like a surgeon’s before and after photos. Typically, a rhinoplasty surgeon who has performed thousands of rhinoplasties is likely to have performed thousands of endoscopic sinus surgeries as well. We perform this combination quite frequently in our practice. There is no other reconstruction in the nose that has to be done during the procedure.  

Sinus surgery and rhinoplasty

+2

ENT doctos can do sinus surgery.  Most plastic surgeons are not trained to perform sinus surgery. The two procedures can certainly be combined during the same operative setting.

Sinus Surgery and Rhinoplasty

+2

As other surgeons have said these two procedures can be done at the same time as long as there is no infection. Most  ENT physicians are well trained in rhinoplasty surgery, but regardless of board certification ( ENT, PLASTIC SURGERY, OR FACIAL PLASTIC SURGERY )make sure your surgeon does a lot of rhinoplasties.

Rhinoplasty Surgery may be combined with Endoscopic Sinus Surgery during the same operation.

+2

Endoscopic sinus surgery is one of the ENT procedures I still perform with regularity. This may be performed at the same time as Rhinoplasty Surgery. I have a few comments based on your question:

Make sure you truly need sinus surgery. I have never operated on "hypoplastic sinus cavities". Your sinus cavities are very close to your eyes and your brain, so large cavities are safer to operate on. If your nose and sinuses are filled with polyps that are obstructing your breathing, then you may need to have this addressed. The report of your sinus CT scan should describe abnormalities other than hypoplastic sinus cavities which I consider a normal anatomic variant.

The only negative of combining the 2 procedures is operating time. The sinus surgery would be performed first, and that takes around 2 hours or longer depending on your condition. Rhinoplasty surgery typically takes me between 1.5-2 hours. Also, if you have infection in your sinuses, I would not suggest performing both at the same time.

Lastly, make sure your ENT does lots of nose jobs. Ask to see many photos before proceeding.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sinus Surgery and Rhinoplasty

+1
A simple answer is "yes' the two surgeries can be performed at once.  However, I would first analyze your need for sinus surgery, because I am more in line with Dr. Joseph's thinking.  If you truly have hypoplastic sinuses, the sinus surgery required tends to be more involved with drilling of bone etc.  The recovery from this type of surgery is also more complicated.  Secondly, do you really need sinus surgery?  In my opinion, sinus surgery should be more a procedure of last resort than an answer to garden variety sinusitis.  Lastly, does your Doctor do a lot of Rhinoplasty?  Making a choice on Rhinoplasty surgeon should be more involved than combining two procedures for the sake of convenience.  Rhinoplasty is the most complicated of aesthetic procedures and requires a high degree of skill and experience. 

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

ENT doctor and rhinoplasty

+1

A plastic surgeon is not trained for sinus surgery usually. That is usually performed by an ENT doctor but the rhinoplasty or the cosmetic portion of the procedure is usually performed by a plastic surgeon (certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery). It does not in any way infer that an ENT surgeon cannot do a rhinoplasty. Check the doctors results though for your looks are very important!

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Combining sinus surgery with rhinoplasty

+1

Yes these 2 operations can be combined but if no sinus infection is present. Seek opinions to help determine the correct path to follow.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Sinus Surgery and Rhinoplasty at the Same Operation by ENT

+1

Hi,

Yes, many ENT surgeons are well trained in both sinus surgery as well as rhinoplasty.  Not all ENTs are experienced in both so you must choose your surgeon most carefully.  It is okay to have both procedures during the same operation only if there is no infection present in the sinuses.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Combining sinus surgery with a rhinoplasty by an ENT surgeon.

+1

As long as there is no infection present the two can be combined. ENT surgeons are fully trained in rhinoplasty, but look at the surgeon's cosmetic results to make sure he is skilled in what you like cosmetically.