What Are the Available Corrective Measure Surgical or Non-surgical for my Asymmetric Face? (photo)

Needless to say, this asymmetric issue is bugging me. I am cool if its just a little because I understand that life is imperfect. However, over the years, my facial asymmetry has gotten from covert to obvious. I have posted a picture of my face, what are my options to resolving this issue. It it is more obvious in pictures than in real life. From my understanding I think the initial diagnosis is Hemifacial Microsomia. Please help. Thank You so much! uegene.

Available options for asymmetric face

+1

Every patient has some degree of asymmetry in their face, including eyebrows, eyelids, cheeks, and chin area.  The mirror image of the left side of the face does not equal the mirror image of the right side of the face. Some very mild hypoplasia of the right side of the face can be addressed through a unilateral cheek implant on the hypoplastic side along with a small custom carved chin implant on the same side to give more augmentation to that of the chin as well.

Hemifacial microsomia

+1

You may indeed have a minor variant of hemifacial microsomia. A CT scan would be the first thing that would be suggested to see the underlying bony structure.  Some have used fat grafting to improve the lack of fullness on the smaller side.

Facial asymmetry

+1

Everybody has some facial asymmetry.  However, I agree that yours  is evident on photos, and indicates a mild degree of hemifacial microsomia.  It could likely be improved with fat grafting if you had some body fat. Other surgical options are much larger, and the risks outweight the benefits.  The problem is a combination of bony and soft tissue asymmetry.

Thomas A. Mustoe, MD, FACS

Craniofacial asymmetry problems

+1

It does appear that you have some degree of hemifacial microsomia.  It will be important to differentiate between a soft tissue problem vs. a hypoplasia of the bones of the face.  I would be important to see a plastic surgeon who is experienced in craniofacial and maxillofacial surgery.  

Facial Asymmetry

+1

There are some non-surgical options that are long lasting that can help improve your facial asymmetry.  It would require a series of treatments but could gradually and naturally help you achieve symmetry.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you in achieving the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD