Can anatomic chin implants be shaved down in the front?

I want to augment the width of my lower face, which is too thin. I was considering anatomic chin implants with extended wings along the jaw--to increase the width of the chin and jaw by about 2-3mm on each side. My concern is I do not really need that 2-3mm of increased chin projection. Thus I wondered if the front of the chin implant could be shaved down, while looking natural. Any advice would be really appreciated. Thank u!

Customization of chin implants

+2
Silastic chin implants can be customized for the individual patient, especially when patient's need added width,  not projection. Also important  to look at the Mittleman pre-jowl implant as well, manufactured by Implantech. Silastic chin implant were inserted through a sub mental approach under local anesthesia as a brief outpatient surgical procedure.

Customizing chin implants

+2
typically I do not place chin implants just as they are without customizing them slightly.  You want to ask your plastic surgeon these questions and discuss it in detail.  The information we can give you online about your specific questions is limited.  That being said, yes these things can be done, however you want to stop thinking about things on the order of millimeters and more in the general appearance of the outcome.  When it comes to chin implants if you measuring things to the millimeter he may find herself disappointed.  Just make sure your face is in good balance and Harmony.

I almost always customize my implants and individualize it particularly for my Asian patients.

Chase Lay, MD
double board-certified facial plastic surgeon

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Shaving silicone implants

+2
Yes, you can definitely customize the implant.  Silicone is very easy to shave.  Sometimes we only use the wings and not the front. Lots of great options.

Joe Niamtu, III DMD
Cosmetic Facial Surgery
Richmond, Virginia
niamtu@niamtu.com 

Joseph Niamtu, III, DMD
Richmond Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Shaving Down Anatomic Implants

+2
Although there are hundreds of different sizes and shapes of manufactured chin implants I frequently modify them to meet the needs of individual patients.

+2
Sure can. I do it all the time.  The projection is usually OK,  but  the implants can be too tall, I  shave them down to reduce the height of the implant  

V

Val Lambros, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon