Is It Possible to Simply Take a Little Length off of the Nose?

I've been wondering how extensive Rhinoplasty would be to shorten my nose without (if possible) changing the overall shape or angle of the nose. Thank you for your help!

It is referred to as "deprojection" of the nose

+1

Jon, your request is referred to as deprojection of the nose, and is appropriate considering your profile analysis. A strong dorsal profile should be maintained to ensure masculine features. Computer imaging is of great assistance to create a common "blueprint" that both surgeon and patient can agree upon. An experinced Rhinoplasty surgeon can perform this through either endonasal or external approaches. Good luck!

Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

Adjusting nasal length

+1

I agree that your nose is basically well shaped but seems a bit too long.  Adjusting the length is not exactly simple but is a reasonable thing to do and can be done as part of a rhinoplasty.  Consider a modest chin implant to balance your profile and bring the lower face into proportion with the length of your nose.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Nasal shortening

+1
Evaluation ot the nose should be done from several views. The frontal view evaluates the length and width of the nose as it occupies the middle third of the face. The lateral view evaluates the angle of the nose, it's curvature, and the projection from the plane of of the face. Maintaining the relative dimensions of your nose can be done with rhinoplasty, but you should be clear with your surgeon what dimension you wish to shorten. Also, be aware the changes in one dimension or area of the nose may not fit well with other areas not changed.

Ricardo Izquierdo, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon

Changing the length of your nose

+1

Looking at your photographs, I think you can certainly achieve what you are looking for. 

First, however, we need to clear up what "length" means in nose talk.  If you put a tape measure at the top of the nose where it ends between your eyes, and measured down to the tip, that would be length. Length is a result of how turned up or turned down you nose is and how long your face is from top to bottom.

I think what you probably want to say is, can the "projection" of my nose be changed.  If you were to walk through a doorway, projection would be how much sooner the tip of your nose enters the next room as compared to the rest of your face.  In other words, how far out-in-front is the tip of your nose as compared to your upper lip.

The short answer to your question is "yes".  The projection can be reduced and the dorsum (ridge) can be reduced in a similar fashion to maintain the overall proportions of your nose. It just won't "stick-out" so far.

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is it possible to take a little length offo of the nose?

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty and Revision Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and IMHO, you're asking for something different that what you actually need which is quite common because of the complicated and specific verbage associated with Rhinoplasty.

Length, of the nose, is related to how much the nasal tip is rotated up or down.  The nasal tip would be rotated up by decreasing the nasal length however, your tip is already at the appropruate angle of rotation.

Your issue is nasal tip projection, or rather how far off of the face does the nasal tip projcet.  This, IMHO, should be decreased which I believe is what you were asking for, just using the wrong term.

Decreasing the nasal tip projection can be done easilly through a partial, closed Rhinoplasty using a trans-columellar incision that reduces the tip projection 2-3 mm's in height.  This can be done alone or in conjunction with a slight tip thinning for added tip symmetry. 

Nasal length and shortening

+1

Communication can be difficult with rhinoplasty when we try to suggest 'taking a little length off', or making the nose a little smaller. We find computer imaging very helpful to demonstrate just where your nose might be too long, and what it might look like as the length is reduced, and just where this 'length' actually is. A complete rhinoplasty may be needed, if just to keep everything in balance.

peterejohnsonmd

Shorter nose

+1

Your nose isn't too long it's very overprojected. You need to have it set back and when you do you will get flaring of the nostrils and middle vault which will have to be addressed. It's very common to be focused in on one aspect of the nose and not realize that when you change this it will then be out of balance with the rest of the nose. You can maintain the same tip shape you have and a good strong length even with these changes. You need to have a consult with a rhinoplasty surgeon and review what you'd like to see done.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Personal consultation and computer imaging will help

+1

You have would get better answer with personal consultation and computer imaging and morphing. The projection of your nose need to reduced and adding small chin implant will balance your profile better.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Shorter nose

+1

The length of the nose can be influenced on the position of the tip, which is typically the end of the nose and the nasal radix (region of the nasal bridge, which is between the eyes), which is typically the start of the nose.  A nose can appear longer if the nose is under rotated or a nose can appear short if the radix is low.  For your individual concerns I would recommend consulting with a rhinoplasty surgeon who does computer imaging.  

Edward S. Kwak, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Shortening the Nose

+1

Hi,

To reduce the length of your nose, you need to decrease the bridge and tip height. This wont necessarily change the angle of your nose or the general structure. Seek an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon that can computer image your nose and show what it will look like.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS