Is It a Simple Revision to Shave a Septal Cartilage Graft on the Bridge of a Nose, in a Revision Rhinoplasty?

I had a septorhinoplasty 7 weeks ago. I had tip work done, and a septal cartilage graft to enhance and smooth the profile. My nose was 'too fine' in the words of my surgeon. But it is far wider at the radix than I could ever have imagined. My surgeon thinks the op has been extremely successful, and it is a straight nose, but it really doesn't suit my face at all. It is consuming my life at the moment. I feel I could live with it, if the cartilage was not as wide at the top.

Significant edema (swelling) is present 7 weeks after rhinoplasty

+2

While the width of your radix may be due to your cartilage graft, it may also be due to normal post-operative edema or swelling.  7 weeks post-op is very early in your recovery, and your nose will continue to decrease in size as the swelling resolves.  

Revising a septal cartilage onlay graft over the radix should not be difficult during revision surgery.  Before you worry about that though, give your nose sufficient time to heal and follow up closely with your surgeon share your concerns with him.  

Nasal swelling

+2

You may have a lot of swelling at seven weeks post-op. Give it time to heal and to settle down.  Good luck and be patient.

Revision Rhinoplasty

+2

In general, the recommendation would be to wait for the swelling to dissipate before undergoing a revision.  However, there are situations that warrant revision surgery soon after the initial one.  The first recommendation would be to discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  If your surgeon decides he/she cannot help you then you may want to consult with a board certified specialist who can best help you achieve the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Revision rhinoplasty surgery

+2

Dear Lisamcc,

• It has been 7 weeks, and without  a proper examination, it is hard to say what your best option right now is
  • To be safe, you should wait 6 months to revise anything as the swelling will come down
  • On the other hand, there are instances where you do not need to wait the 6 months if the problem is obvious
  • Is the graft at your radix or lower? It could be easy or difficult depending on what it looks like

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

+1
At 7 weeks after nose surgery, I feel it is far too early to make any final judgments on your nose.  The work to revise it can be done, if that is desired in the end, but I generally recommend not revising a nose surgery until about one year after the original surgery.

For more information, please go to my website at:
WirthPlasticSurgery.com

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

Wide nose after revision rhinoplasty

+1

Swelling after revision rhinoplasty can take many months to resolve.  That being said, cartilage grafts, particularly rib grafts can widen the nose, even though they improve the profile.  It is possible to thin down a cartilage graft, but revision should wait a year, and depending on the situation can be challenging.  You should certainly continue to discuss your concerns with hyour surgeon..

Thomas A. Mustoe, MD, FACS