Procedure to Reduce Dorsal Hump

How Simple is a Procedure to Reduce a Dorsal Hump Very Slightly, Maintaining my General Nose?

Simple procedure for removal of dorsal hump

+3

A very limited rhinoplasty consisting of rasping of the dorsal hump may be all that is necessary if this is the only part of the nose you wish to address. The procedure can even be performed with conscious sedation, avoiding the need and cost of general anesthesia. I recommend using a 3D system such as the Vectra 3D by Canfield so that you can visualize the effect of the hump reduction on the overall harmony of your face.

El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Dorsal Hump Removal

+3

Removing the dorsal hump in rhinoplasty is one of the most common procedures in rhinoplasty.  While the "bump" can vary from patient to patient, removing it generally requires gently rasping or "filing" the bump to a more satisfactory appearance.

The profile view is typically the view where you can see the most dramatic benefits from a nasal bump/hump removal.

Jon E. Mendelsohn, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removing a nasal hump in rhinoplasty surgery

+3

Thanks for the question! Removing a hump while maintaining the shape of the rest of the nose can certainly be accomplished through either closed (endonasal) or open (external) rhinoplasty. This can be achieved by rasping (filing) down the bones or using a very precise osteotome, similar to a chisel. There are many considerations, however, which are important to assess.

1) First of all, I would recommend seeking a surgeon who performs computer imaging during the consultation. This process allows the surgeon to demonstrate to you how your nose may look following hump removal surgery. You may find, during this exercise, that there are other features of your nose which may need to be tweaked in order to maintain balance with your other facial features and your new lowered bridge. I use this process during every rhinoplasty consultation to determine the patient's aesthetic sense and explain to the patient what would be realistic and achievable given the patient's unique anatomy. 

2) Secondly, it is critical to assess the length of the nasal bones and to determine if the hump is mostly bone, cartilage or both. One of the most common problems I see when patients come to my office seeking a revision of a rhinoplasty performed by another surgeon is what we call the inverted-V deformity. This occurs when a hump is removed and the cartilages on both sides of the nasal bridge (upper lateral cartilages) fall in. This results in a "pinched" middle third of the nose with the area just below the nasal bones looking like an upside-down "V". Narrowing of this area can also affect your ability to breathe by pinching the internal valves of your airway. This outcome can be prevented by identifying patients at risk of developing this issue and placing small thin cartilage grafts on each side of the top of the septum (spreader grafts). 

3) The third thing to think about is that when a hump is removed, there can be a gap between the tops of the nasal bones along the upper part of the bridge of the nose, called an "open roof deformity". The gap can be closed by making small controlled fractures along the sides of the nasal bones (osteotomies) to bring in the nasal bones. 

My best advice to you would be to schedule a consult with a few surgeons who specialize in rhinoplasty. It is worth the extra time to find a surgeon with whom you feel comfortable.

Umang Mehta, MD

Umang Mehta, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Reducing dorsal nasal bump

+3

Yes it is possible to reduce the nasal dorsal hump only.

However that would neglect the overall appearance of the nose, which should aloso be addressed.  In particular the length of the nose and overall balance with the face should be considered, or the nose might appear overly long and thin when you are done.

Brent Moelleken, MD

You appear to be a good candidate for Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+2

I read your question and reviewed your photos. You appear to have a long nose with a profile bump, and droopy tip that worsens with smiling. In my opinion, you would obtain an optimal result by addressing all of these issues, not just your bump. Your nose will continue to lenghthen as you get older, so if you're inclined to undergo a major operation you may want to consider nasal shortening, and tip rotation as well.

You may want to consult several reputable, experienced rhinoplasty specialists to see what would be best for you.

I hope this helps you.

Regards from NJ:

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dorsal hump correction

+2

The aesthetic relationships of the nose can be subtle.  Prior to considering any cosmetic nasal surgery or rhinoplasty, it is important that you develop a very specific sense of what you would like corrected.  When considering the dorsal hump, which usually has both boney and cartilagenous components, it is also important to assess the width of the nasal base as well as its relationship to tip position and definition.  A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon will likely answer all of your questions as the rhinoplasty procedure can be modified in some ways including minimizing the invasiveness, to reflect the specific aesthetic concerns of the patient. 

Richard J. Wassermann, MD, MPH
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty (nose job) to remove a hump or bump.

+2

Rhinoplasty or nasal surgery to remove a dorsal hump or bump on the nose may sound fairly straight forward.  However, other techniques must be incorporated in order to respect the aesthetics and function of the nose.  If the hump is taken down alone, the bridge or dorsum of the nose will seem like the top of an aircraft carrier (an open roof deformity).  Flat and wide.  The bones on the side of the nose need to be fractured and brought inwards inorder to "close" this open roof.  

In addition, the nasal valve may be effected when a hump is taken down.  This is the area of highest nasal airway resistance.  It is important to respect this valve and reconstruct it after hump removal.  Otherwise, nasal function may be compromised.  

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Procedure to Reduce Dorsal Hump

+2

It is not difficult to just reduce a dorsal hump while "maintaining my general nose". Rhinoplasty surgery is always individualized to meet each person's needs and reach the goals of the doctor and patient. Select an experienced surgeon to make subtle changes.

Reducing nasal hump

+2

Rhinoplasty is a complex procedure. Reducing the hump may require narrowing of the nasal bones afterward unless a very small shaving is required. You may have hyperactive muscle called depressor nasalis which bring the nasal tip down on smiling, making the nose look slightly longer and  also may curve up the upper lip making it appear short. As you can see, reducing the nasal hump may be a simple procedure, but will need to be considered with regards to other nasal structures in order to achieve the harmony and natural look.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon