Remove my breasts and nipples to look like a male?

How Similar is the Breast Reduction Operation to a Mastectomy? I would like to remove my breasts and nipples. I'm looking for a surgeon who will make my chest look like a male's sans nipples and with minimal scarring. Will a skilled breast reduction surgeon be a good choice for my mastectomy or are these two completely different surgeries? Does my not wanting my nipples make the surgery less complicated?

Breast Reduction versus Mastectomy?

+1

These two operations are very different. Mastectomy involves removal of all breast  glandular tissue whereas breast reduction surgery involves removal of some tissue  and preservation of a significant amount of tissue.

Considering that your goals are somewhat unusual,  in person consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons will be helpful.

Breast reduction and mastectomy

+1

A mastectomy is nothing like a breast reduction although plastic surgeons can certainly perform mastectomies.

Cosmetic Mastectomy

+1

Hi there-

It sound like you would need a cosmetic mastectomy. A breast reduction would not eliminate the feminine breast mound, but would only reduce its size.

A well-trained and Board Certified Plastic Surgeon would be able to give you a very nice outcome.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Cosmetic Mastectomy

+1

Requesting the complete removal of a normal, disease-free breast is highly unusual and we see it most commonly in gender change patients. If you are sure you want to proceed, a Plastic surgeon would be able to give you a good result. The removal of the nipple complex would make the operation slightly easier.

Breast reduction operation not similiar to a mastectomy

+1

Like apples and oranges. Two completely different operations and reasons to do these operations are night and day at differing spectrums.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Breast reduction vs mastectomy

+1

What you are requesting is not what most are looking for in a breast reduction. You don't say why you want this performed either. If you could find a plastic surgeon willing to do this, I think your result would look a bit better than if a general surgeon (breast cancer) surgeon did the procedure.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Mastectomy

+1

Any plastic surgeon is trained in breast reduction surgery - this is a common procedure. What you are asking for is unusual, but the procedure would follow the same basic concepts as breast reduction surgery. Your resultant scars would really depend on the size of your breasts. There is no way to perform the surgery without making incisions or without resultant scars. If you have small breasts, you may be able to have liposuction which would decrease the size of your breasts, but not address the nipple or areola. You could have the nipple and areola excised, but there would still need to be an incision and a scar. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD